Meier charges Sharks win with two-goal night


first_img(Click here, if you are unable to view this photo gallery on your mobile device.)SAN JOSE — Timo Meier scored twice, Joe Pavelski reached the 20-goal mark again and Radim Simek got his first as an NHLer.Battling the fatigue of an arduous travel schedule, the Sharks (16-11-5) found a way to win for the fourth time in five games Monday, topping the New Jersey Devils 5-2 at SAP Center.The win came just two days after the Sharks finished a stretch in which they played seven of eight games on the …last_img read more

Ohio Ag Weather and Forecast, September 14, 2018


first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest No changes this morning. Sunny, dry and warming through the weekend into early next week. We continue to keep the state precipitation free all the way through at least Monday, and parts of the state can stay dry longer. Eastern and southern parts of Ohio need to monitor the track of Florence closely, as that will be the limiting factor to a longer dry pattern  in those areas. In the meantime, we see excellent dry down potential with low relative humidity values and maximum evaporation rates.Florence has been slowly moving over the past few hours, working into North and South Carolina. She likely drifts a bit farther south before heading west and then eventually curving north. We are keeping a chance of scattered showers in over southern and eastern Ohio next Tuesday and early Wednesday. We are keeping coverage at 40% of the state and continue to think that clouds will likely be seen in many more areas of the state. That should cap warmth a bit more next Tuesday. The exact track of Florence’s remains will start to shape up over the weekend, and we will keep watching where she looks to be headed during that time.  AT right we have an updated map of potential precipitation here through Wednesday morning (before our next front’s arrival). However, this precipitation outlook is heavily predicated on Florence’s track not moving much past the Appalachians. If she does this weekend, we may be putting out a different look come Monday morning.We are keeping an arrival time for our next front of later next Wednesday afternoon and Wednesday evening. However, this little feature is falling apart. Rain potential has looked minor for a few days, but now looks almost non-existent. Just because we are slow to give up on it, and the front is still there, we will keep rain totals at a few hundredths to a tenth or two, but we are pulling coverage back even farther, to now no more than 25% of Ohio. Its just not a major story…and we are back to dry weather for Thursday and Friday.A stronger, more organized frontal boundary moves in for overnight next Friday night into early Saturday. Rain totals can be up to .75” but will only be that high where there are thunderstorms. AT this point, we think the best threat of that will be in north central and west central parts of Ohio. The rest of the state just sees scattered showers, and the moisture fall apart Saturday morning as the front moves south and east. Coverage will be at 60% or less. We wont completely rule out a few scattered showers coming off of Lake Erie through the morning and midday hours next Sunday…but they do not have enough strength or momentum to really become a big story for the rest of the state. There is another front around the 25th as we kick off the extended forecast window. That front looks very similar to next Friday night and Saturday. However, the bigger story likely is the cooler, drier Canadian high pressure that comes in behind those fronts. We can see this air mass pooling over the prairies, just waiting for the invite to move south and east…those two fronts combined may do just that.Temps will be easily well above normal through the weekend and the first half of next week. The second half we have temps back closer to normal, and then for the extended period, we expect a move to normal and below normal levels, just in time to flip the calendar to October.last_img read more

Equestrian team may miss Asiad


first_imgThe Indian equestrian team’s participation in the Asian Games looks in serious doubt as, with just days to go for the dressage event to begin, it is yet to leave for Guangzhou.After Mail Today broke the story about rider Rajesh Pattu’s horse Gabbar being diagnosed with tick fever and another horse testing positive for dope while in quarantine in Bangalore, the Equestrian Federation of India (EFI) has time-and-again reiterated that things are under control, while also putting back the team’s departure several times. The last target was November 6, which has come and gone, with the team still being in the country as of Monday night.Normally, equestrian teams arrive in the host city at least two weeks before the competition to help the riders and horses acclimatise to the conditions and prepare. But in this case, the first events — the dressage team and individual qualifiers — are supposed to be held this Sunday. And yet, there seems to be no confirmation forthcoming on when the team will actually fly out, given the fact that transporting horses is a cumbersome process that requires a lot of planning.Mail Today has now learnt that the reason for these delays is that the Chinese veterinary experts, examining the quarantine procedures followed in Bangalore, have refused to give the go-ahead to the team. It may be recalled that the rider at the centre of the controversy, JS Ahluwalia, had told a national daily some days ago that the Chinese were actually extremely happy with the quarantine. Ahluwalia, who is drawing a pension from the sports ministry for being a ‘retired’ sportsperson, is the coach of the eventing team and a competitor in the dressage event and had claimed all the horses were healthy and had been cleared.advertisementHowever, the reality is that the experts now want a detailed analysis of the tests to be conducted in Australia. Pending the reports of these, they still may or may not clear the Indian team for participation in Guangzhou. So, Ahluwalia’s claim that all was well and that India were in with a shot of winning two gold medals may not even get a chance to be proved right or wrong.The politics behind-the-scenes at the EFI and the subsequent cover-ups that have taken place have seriously jeopardised the country’s prospects in the sport. India had won a bronze medal in team eventing at the Doha Asiad four years ago but, in Guangzhou this time around, there may be no Indian representation.last_img read more