FIFA suspend Ivory Coast FA’s Presidential elections after Drogba’s application is rejected

ucpxsaxg

first_imgDidier Drogba’s hopes of becoming the next President of Ivory Coast’s Football Federation (FIF) seemed to be over on Thursday after his application was invalidated.But now it appears the former Chelsea striker has been handed a lifeline by football’s world governing body, FIFA.“Pending your documents and information, we invite you to suspend all actions relating to the electoral process until further notice,” FIFA Secretary General Fatma Samoura wrote to FIF’s electoral commission.“Some say that the commission has been prevented from exercising its activities in total calm and an independent manner because of outside interference.”According to the BBC, FIFA has also asked for a full list of Electoral Commission members and the minutes from four meetings, including one in July where the new electoral commission president was elected and one in August involving FIF’s Executive Committee.Drogba’s candidacy had been initially validated, despite some issues with his application, leading to the suspension of the elections and FIF’s Electoral Committee.FIFA, however, reinstated the Committee and the elections, with the electoral body opting to invalidate Drogba’s candidacy.It had been doubtful that Drogba’s application would be accepted, with concerns raised over whether he could meet the election requirements.The Ivory Coast Footballers Association (AFI), one of the five main interest groups in Ivorian football had refused to endorse his candidacy, drawing a suspension from FIFPro.However, Drogba’s application was controversially accepted after he got the endorsements of three Ivorian Ligue 1 clubs, two Ligue 2 clubs, two Championnat Division 3 clubs and an interest group, the dissident referees.The sponsorship from the dissident referees and Ivorian club Africa Sport, were deemed inadmissible by FIF, hence the invalidation of Drogba’s candidacy.It’s unclear now whether the elections will now go ahead on September 5 with Sory Diabaté and Idriss Diallo as the only two approved candidates.A statement signed by the outgoing president, Sidy Diallo, had earlier announced the suspension of the election stating that the Independent Electoral Commission (CEI) which is responsible for validating the  applications had “violated the electoral code ”The statement also added that “the electoral process no longer inspires confidence and that the neutrality of certain members of the electoral body was in doubt.”The Executive Committee said it had received complaints from some members of the electoral body about certain actions of its Chairman, René Diby, which put the integrity of the whole process in doubt.More from Citi Sports The Committee’s statement said it had “received a note, sent by 4 members of the Electoral Commission, denouncing the actions of the Chairman of their commission and declaring that they do not align themselves with the decisions that he and certain members of the commission have adopted.”Sidy Diallo, outgoing FIF PresidentDiby had reportedly approved Drogba’s application due to pressure from the overwhelming popular support for Drogba’s candidacy, as hundreds of his supporters accompanied the former Chelsea striker to submit his forms.He had believed that rejecting Drogba’s candidacy would have fuelled an already tense situation in the country with not just the FA Presidency elections but Ivory Coast’s presidential elections as well.According to FIF, he admitted “to have acted in all naivety, to preserve social cohesion, in this sensitive period and to have found an ad hoc solutionThis, FIF’s Executive Committee, felt compromised the elections.The statement concluded that the Executive Committee of FIF will ensure that the electoral processes adhere to the statutes of FIF, CAF, and FIFA.Drogba’s team had earlier stated that they would appeal to FIFA but it’s not clear whether an appeal has already been submitted.Disqualified aspirants have five days to submit their appeals.last_img read more

Region 4 Education Department honours 53 seniors

dmihbinh

first_imgAs Guyana celebrated its 53rd Independence anniversary, the Education Department of Region Four (Demerara-Mahaica), in observance of the occasion, honoured 53 seniors at a simple but significant ceremony.Regional Executive Officer Pauline Lucas presenting one of the many awards to a former educatorA smiling senior gladly accepts his award and hamper from REO LucasAt the inaugural event, seniors were awarded for their contributions to Guyana throughout their early years. The awardees included former teachers, soldiers, nurses, and administrative and clerical staff.Acting Regional Education Officer (REdO) Tiffany Harvey and Regional Chairman Genevieve Allen, along with Regional Executive Officer (REO) Pauline Lucas, Regional Vice Chairman Earl Lambert and several senior and junior officers from both the Department of Education and the Regional Democratic Council (RDC), were among the team members who organised the auspicious event.In remarks at the ceremony, Harvey said that the time has come for homage to be paid to the many men and women who, through their tireless, unselfish and committed efforts, have ensured that Guyana was a much better place today.“I firmly believe that you, our seniors, have helped in the continued growth and development of this nation. As the Acting Regional Education Officer I say thank you, however with Guyana celebrating its 53rd Independence, we have identified 53 persons who have served in various sectors to identify you today,” the REdO stated.Meanwhile, REO Lucas reiterated her Department’s gratitude to the awardees for their past services, as she also commended the efforts placed into hosting the event.“This is a brilliant initiative as many times when persons retire from the public service they are easily forgotten, it’s as though their contributions went in vain, and I am very happy today that the Department of Education and Miss Harvey have sought to remind you that we have not lost track that you made valuable contributions to the region and more so the country,” Lucas said.The REO stressed the importance of recognising the seniors, stating that while reflecting on Guyana’s Independence, recognition must be given to the seniors who are being honoured as they have all played a part and contributed in the early days of the nation.last_img read more