Rochsismandoko, an internist at a private hospital in Tangerang, Banten, concurred. He said he had to purchase N95 medical masks with his own money because the masks provided by the hospital were limited.“We appreciate the PPE donations given by individuals. Unfortunately, most of the PPE cannot be used as it doesn’t meet the certified health standards,” he added.Rochsismandoko pointed out that despite the government’s claims, not all medical workers had access to free COVID-19 tests. Medical workers, he said, also expressed their fear of being furloughed if they were found positive for the virus.“It is not only about income; medical workers are still experiencing a bad stigma and rejection by society,” he added.Threats to freedom of expressionUsman said the current outbreak could jeopardize people’s right to express their opinions, citing a circular issued by the National Police chief that instructed officers to charge those who were thought to be insulting the government or spreading misinformation.Amnesty has recorded 52 cases of alleged violations of free expression during the pandemic.“We certainly oppose the dissemination of misinformation by anyone. But we believe a legal approach is not suitable during these times, especially while the government is aiming to control the spread of the virus in prisons,” he said.Brian Sriprahastuti, a member of the Executive Office of the President, said that during the early days of the outbreak, the government faced challenges compiling nationwide data, which he said could only be provided by a limited number of laboratories at the time. He brushed off criticism of the government’s lack of transparency, claiming it had become more transparent in providing COVID-19 data. According to National Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Hengky Widjaja, the Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) has investigated 102 cases of fake news or provocation related to the COVID-19 pandemic under the authority of the Electronic Information and Transactions (ITE) Law and the Criminal Code (KUHP).“Individuals are allowed to express their opinions while adhering to social restrictions rules, but the expression must not contain hate speech that provokes others,” he said in the discussion.Read also: Activist arrested as he was about to get into Dutch Embassy car: PoliceThe chairman of the Alliance of Independent Journalists (AJI), Abdul Manan, condemned what he called the police’s excessive actions against questionable offenses. Abdul asked the police to remain impartial regarding government issues. “During this pandemic, disinformation is the enemy we should fight against, but unfortunately, disinformation is also being used as a tool to oppress those who criticize government policy,” he said.Threats to workers’ rightsThe outbreak has caused the economy to seize up, with workers suffering the brunt of the effects. Data from the Manpower Ministry released on May 1 showed that approximately 3 million workers had been impacted by the pandemic.More than 1 million formal workers have been furloughed and more than 300,000 workers have been laid off since the outbreak started. As many as 315,000 informal sector workers, whose incomes are based on contingent daily work, have lost their incomes because of the pandemic.Read also: Businesses must have adequate support to prevent layoffs: ExpertsAndriko Otang, executive director of the Trade Union Rights Center (TURC), said the government’s inconsistent policies had worsened the situation for workers.“The PSBB policy provides exceptions for manufacturing industries or export-oriented industries to stay fully operational during this pandemic, forcing millions of workers to continue working and facing risk,” he said. A survey conducted by TURC found that only 35 percent of companies adhered to COVID-19 health protocols for workers. Topics : Rights groups have raised concerns over the government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on residents. They say the response may pose risks to Indonesians’ human rights.Amnesty International Indonesia highlighted certain issues that could harm human rights, including medical workers’ rights, information transparency and free expression, workers’ rights and social security.“It is of high importance that the government acknowledges human rights during the COVID-19 [pandemic]. Amnesty’s records show that there are many rights violations taking place in countries like Egypt and Venezuela. We don’t want it to happen here, and we must minimize any potential for violations,” Amnesty International Indonesia executive director Usman Hamid said in a virtual discussion on Sunday. He cited the large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) imposed by several provinces and regions across the archipelago to stem the spread of the virus. He said the policy, although deemed necessary, affected the livelihoods of all residents, especially those working in informal sectors.He urged the government to pay attention to fulfilling the basic rights of all residents – whether they were under PSBB or not – during the pandemic.Usman noted that the pandemic revealed Indonesia’s lack of health care readiness, as illustrated by frontline medical workers’ limited access to personal protective equipment (PPE) while they were risking their lives to fight the disease.Read also: COVID-19: Online fund-raiser seeks to provide protective gear supplies
Facebook Twitter Google+ Eleventh-seeded Syracuse gets a rematch against No. 2 seed Duke on Friday night when they face off in the Sweet 16 from the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska.On Feb. 24 at Cameron Indoor, then-No. 5 Duke won, 60-44. Members of the Duke student section chanted, “N-I-T!” near the end of the game, but Syracuse has since gone from last team in the Big Dance to the Sweet 16.Below, beat writers Matthew Gutierrez, Sam Fortier and Tomer Langer break down the matchup.1. Duke has embraced a 2-3 zone that Mike Krzyzewski learned in part from Jim Boeheim. How will Syracuse matchup with a Blue Devils team now thriving with that defense?Matthew Gutierrez: Syracuse has encountered difficulty against zone defenses this season, largely because it spotlights the offensive problem that has undone SU in its losses: lack of movement. Before the NCAA Tournament, I offered three ways in which SU could boost offensive production. One involves Marek Dolezaj — more on him later — and the others center on attacking the basket and course correcting.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textHead coach Jim Boeheim and players say the offense is at its best when guys are moving off-ball and attacking off the dribble. Backdoor passes, transition buckets, dribble handoffs and skip passes each could produce openings in the Duke defense, which isn’t as fantastic as some make it out to be. The Blue Devils allowed 70 points to Notre Dame two weeks ago and 67 points to No. 15 seed Iona in the first round of the Tournament.Sam Fortier: Man, I have no idea. When Guti and I were at Cameron Indoor in late February, Duke’s length in the zone pressed Syracuse out so far the only way the Orange could catch the ball cleanly was at about half court. The Blue Devils missed their first 15 3-point attempts and still cruised because of their defense. It was as impressive a performance as we saw this year, and Boeheim joked that Duke shouldn’t be able to run their zone because it’s so good.With elite big men and comparable size on the perimeter, the Blue Devils probably present the biggest matchup nightmare of the season, so I’d expect the Orange to try and capitalize on Marek Dolezaj’s hot hand and run either him or Oshae Brissett from the high post to penetrate a bit and make something work.Tomer Langer: Well, we know how it’ll try to match up. Frank Howard, Tyus Battle and Oshae Brissett will have the ball in their hands for much of the game, and they’ll hope for the best. It’s been the formula all year. It obviously didn’t work against Duke the last two times, and it has been nothing more than the bare minimum of enough in the Tournament.There’s something I’d like to see SU try that’s different: sticking Howard as the high post man. He had success on a few plays this past week when he was posting up smaller guards at the free throw line, either shooting over the top or finding the right passing lanes.Obviously, that was against man defenses and not zone. But other teams have sent guards into the high post against the Orange in the past, since guards can make better decisions when the zone collapses.Courtesy of Sanjeev Dasgupta | The Chronicle2. Syracuse’s frontcourt has battled foul trouble in the last couple games. Is there anything SU can do to slow down probable NBA lottery picks Marvin Bagley III and Wendell Carter, Jr.?M.G.: The lasting image from Durham last month was a lob behind the zone to Bagley III or Carter Jr., sending Cameron Indoor into a frenzy. We’ll see what Boeheim and Co. call up for the defensive game plan, but I think it starts with SU’s guards.For the zone to be successful, SU players talk about “activeness.” When Battle and Howard are active, other parts of the D tend to fall into place. Stopping dribble penetration is a must and limiting skip- and cross-court passes will be imperative for the Orange’s success Friday night.S.F.: This sort of feels like the last question. I mean, Syracuse should hope so but I’m not sure there’s tangible evidence to back up that claim. Other than Matthew Moyer’s block on a Bagley III turnaround the last game, there’s not much the Orange could do about them. They shot 13-for-20 in scoring 35 of Duke’s 60 points.Syracuse hasn’t really played a team with two big men comparable to Bagley III and Carter, Jr., so the Orange should try to drive and create foul trouble while simultaneously hoping for off nights for both of them. That would be best-case scenario for Syracuse, and I’m still not sure that’d be enough.T.L.: Probably not. Syracuse will probably just have to weather the storm and hope for some missed shots. Those two will eat up rebounds, but so did MSU’s players. Carter is a more proficient scorer than nearly anyone on MSU from the low block. The Orange can’t allow Bagley to have as many easy dunks as he did in the last game, and that’ll require more active play recognition from SU’s bigs.3. Last time these two teams played, Syracuse executed its game plan and still lost by 16 points. What needs to change for the Orange to stay competitive?M.G.: Involve Dolezaj. When he scores double digits, Syracuse is 6-0. Especially against the zone, his mid-range and inside game would create openings for Battle, Howard and Brissett to do their thing. Dolezaj has scored five, 17 and six points in three games this Tournament. For Syracuse to beat Duke, the freshman forward needs to score about 15 to 20, limit second-chances for the Blue Devils and grab a few boards.S.F.: Syracuse needs to play suffocating defense and probably hold Duke to 60 points or fewer. Other than defense, which has been the highlight for the Orange this tournament season, the team needs to hit shots. I don’t say that facetiously, but Syracuse’s 31.5 percent shooting from the field (17-for-54) at Duke was its fourth-lowest mark of the season and prevented the Orange from hanging in there on a pretty good defensive night.But it’s important to delineate that 3-pointers aren’t the key here. Against Michigan State, the Orange attempted eight, tied for a season-low, and made only one. MSU’s Miles Bridges, in comparison, attempted 12 himself. Maybe the Orange’s answer is just pounding the ball inside and trying to draw Duke bigs into foul trouble like North Carolina did against the Orange in the ACC tournament. Maybe.T.L.: Howard and Battle need to get going early. Howard made a few nice shots in the first half and early in the second half against MSU before he fouled out. Battle had one point in the first half. They’ve been slow starters in the tournament, but so has the offense as a whole. These two need to be the catalysts. There will come a point in time when an opponent finds a small crack in the Orange’s zone. It’ll be up to Battle and Howard to keep the Orange afloat. Comments Published on March 21, 2018 at 10:25 pm
Gillette has today revealed the brand’s first ever global esports team partner, EDward Gaming (“EDG”). EDward Gaming, one of the top Chinese League of Legends teams in the world, join an elite club featuring the New England Patriots and FC Barcelona in Gillette’s portfolio of team partnerships. It’s not the brand’s first foray into esports. Enrique “xPeke” Cedeno is already an ambassador for the brand and earlier this year Gillette partnered with ESL, sponsoring the Intel Extreme Masters (IEM) World Championship. Gillette were on site throughout Katowice handing out free products. The move to partner with EDG shows an expanded commitment to the esports industry.EDG is comprised of Yang “Koro1” Tong (Top), Kai “Clearlove” Ming (Jungle), Yechan “Scout” Lee (Mid), Seong-min “Zet” Lee (ADC), Ye “Meiko” Tian (Support), Yuhao “Mouse” Chen (Top), Zhao “Fireloli” Zhiming (Jungle) and Minmin “Minn” Huang (Top). Although exactly what the deal entails hasn’t been released, the press release teased future content. It stated “[the team].. will support Gillette, and the shared value of precision, through a multitude of touchpoints over the coming months to bring fans closer to the action.”“We’ve all read about the incredible growth of gaming, but it wasn’t until we partnered with xPeke and witnessed the thousands of devoted fans who packed the Spodek Arena during the IEM World Championship that we truly understood the incredible passion of the gaming community,” commented John Mang, Vice President, Global Gillette. “The commitment to precision and performance under pressure displayed by professional League of Legends teams was inspiring to us and ultimately led us to partner with Gillette’s first esports team EDG, the top team in China and one that’s posed to break out on the global stage in 2017.”“It is an honor to be Gillette’s first esports team,” said David Ng, President of EDG.“For more than 100 years Gillette has been a leader in men’s grooming and has supported the best athletes and teams in the world. EDG is proud to join the brand’s prestigious roster and have its support moving forward.”Esports Insider says: Big move this one from Gillette. Congratulations to EDG, they’re in esteemed company as a Gillette sponsored team. It wouldn’t surprise us to see EDG players featuring in shaving adverts in the Eastern market before long.