President Trump Fires Back at Pelosi and Democrats about “Cover-up” Accusation

qwuwumar

first_imgPresident Trump speaking from the Rose Garden today was hot under the collar after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi accused him of a cover-up.“I don’t do cover-ups.” He again called the Russia investigation a hoax and said — “No collusion, no corruption.” Trump made his remarks after Pelosi and other top Democrats came to the White House for a scheduled meeting on infrastructure.Trump pushed back and outlined all the ways that he and his administration has been totally transparent over the past two years of investigations with allowing 500 witnesses to testify fully including his son and White House counsel Don McGahn.  Democrats are angry about McGahn defying a subpoena to testify in a House committee yesterday.  The White House instructed McGahn not to testify.Trump said you can’t go down two tracks, the investigation track or the “let’s get things done for the American people” track.Trump said when he walked into the room to meet with Schumer and Pelosi to talk about infrastructure, he said that they needed to get on the right track for the American people and end the needless investigations.Congressional Democratic leaders were at the White House for a follow-up meeting with President Trump on infrastructure.The meeting comes just after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s met with her Democratic caucus to discuss starting impeachment proceedings against the President.The two sides met last month and Trump said he’d like to spend two-trillion dollars to renovate highways, bridges, airports and rails.Democrats agreed and challenged the White House to figure out how to pay for it.last_img read more

Paralympian Marieke Vervoort fulfills wish to take own life

xsaanadb

first_img 10 months ago Bala vs Ujda Chaman row: Sunny Singh film now books new release date Written By 10 months ago Rajkummar Rao on taming ‘The White Tiger’ & heading to China 10 months ago Kareena Kapoor Khan: Best no-makeup looks of the Jab We Met actor Last Updated: 23rd October, 2019 18:20 IST Paralympian Marieke Vervoort Fulfills Wish To Take Own Life Paralympian Marieke Vervoort said when the day arrived, she had signed the euthanasia papers and was prepared to end her life. COMMENT WE RECOMMEND 10 months ago 5 owls being delivered to occultist for sacrifice on Diwali saved LIVE TVcenter_img WATCH US LIVE FOLLOW US Associated Press Television News SUBSCRIBE TO US 10 months ago Anil Kumble congratulates Sourav Ganguly, confident of his leadership Paralympian Marieke Vervoort said when the day arrived, she had signed the euthanasia papers and was prepared to end her life.That day came Tuesday in her native Belgium, her death confirmed in a statement from the city of Diest.Vervoort, who was 40, won gold and silver medals in wheelchair racing at the 2012 London Paralympics, and two more medals three years ago in Rio de Janeiro.In an interview attended by The Associated Press at the Paralympics in Rio, Vervoort described living with unbroken pain from an incurable, degenerative spinal disease.She talked of sleeping only 10 minutes some nights, described severe pain that caused others to pass out just watching her, and detailed how sports kept her alive.“It’s too hard for my body,” Vervoort said in the 2016 interview. “Each training I’m suffering because of pain. Every race I train hard. Training and riding and doing competition are medicine for me. I push so hard — to push literally all my fear and everything away.”Vervoort spent her last evening with close friends and family, even sharing a glass of sparkling wine, which she referred to as a painkiller.Condolences streamed in from across the nation, including from the royal family“Marieke ‘Wielemie’ Vervoort was an athlete tough as nails and a great lady. Her death touches us deeply,” the family said in a statement.Vervoort was a strong advocate of the right to choose euthanasia, which is legal in Belgium. Like training hard, she said it gave her control and put “my own life in my hands.”“I’m really scared, but those (euthanasia) papers give me a lot of peace of mind because I know when it’s enough for me, I have those papers,” she said.“If I didn’t have those papers, I think I’d have done suicide already. I think there will be fewer suicides when every country has the law of euthanasia. … I hope everybody sees that this is not murder, but it makes people live longer.”Vervoort also had epileptic seizures and had one in 2014 when she was cooking pasta and spilt boiling water over her legs. That resulted in a four-month hospital stay.A loyal Labrador named Zenn began staying with her, pawing her when a seizure was about to occur. Zenn also pulled her socks out of the sock drawer, she said, and helped carry groceries home when Vervoort bought too much.“When I’m going to have an epileptic attack, she warns me one hour before,” Vervoort said. “I don’t know how she feels it.”Vervoort said she kept pushing back the day of her death, knowing it could come anytime — as it can for anyone. She said she can be pain-free one minute, and nearly pass out a few minutes later.“You have to live day-by-day and enjoy the little moments,” she said. “Everybody tomorrow can have a car accident and die, or a heart attack and die. It can be tomorrow for everybody.”Vervoort called herself a “crazy lady.”She talked of flying in an F-16 fighter jet, riding in a rally car, and she was curating a museum of her life going back to at least 14 when she was diagnosed with her rare illness.She had spikey hair and wanted to be remembered as the lady who was “always laughing, always smiling.”“I feel different about death now than years ago,” Vervoort said. “For me, I think death is something like they operate on you, you go to sleep and you never wake up. For me, it’s something peaceful.” First Published: 23rd October, 2019 18:20 ISTlast_img read more

FIFA suspend Ivory Coast FA’s Presidential elections after Drogba’s application is rejected

ucpxsaxg

first_imgDidier Drogba’s hopes of becoming the next President of Ivory Coast’s Football Federation (FIF) seemed to be over on Thursday after his application was invalidated.But now it appears the former Chelsea striker has been handed a lifeline by football’s world governing body, FIFA.“Pending your documents and information, we invite you to suspend all actions relating to the electoral process until further notice,” FIFA Secretary General Fatma Samoura wrote to FIF’s electoral commission.“Some say that the commission has been prevented from exercising its activities in total calm and an independent manner because of outside interference.”According to the BBC, FIFA has also asked for a full list of Electoral Commission members and the minutes from four meetings, including one in July where the new electoral commission president was elected and one in August involving FIF’s Executive Committee.Drogba’s candidacy had been initially validated, despite some issues with his application, leading to the suspension of the elections and FIF’s Electoral Committee.FIFA, however, reinstated the Committee and the elections, with the electoral body opting to invalidate Drogba’s candidacy.It had been doubtful that Drogba’s application would be accepted, with concerns raised over whether he could meet the election requirements.The Ivory Coast Footballers Association (AFI), one of the five main interest groups in Ivorian football had refused to endorse his candidacy, drawing a suspension from FIFPro.However, Drogba’s application was controversially accepted after he got the endorsements of three Ivorian Ligue 1 clubs, two Ligue 2 clubs, two Championnat Division 3 clubs and an interest group, the dissident referees.The sponsorship from the dissident referees and Ivorian club Africa Sport, were deemed inadmissible by FIF, hence the invalidation of Drogba’s candidacy.It’s unclear now whether the elections will now go ahead on September 5 with Sory Diabaté and Idriss Diallo as the only two approved candidates.A statement signed by the outgoing president, Sidy Diallo, had earlier announced the suspension of the election stating that the Independent Electoral Commission (CEI) which is responsible for validating the  applications had “violated the electoral code ”The statement also added that “the electoral process no longer inspires confidence and that the neutrality of certain members of the electoral body was in doubt.”The Executive Committee said it had received complaints from some members of the electoral body about certain actions of its Chairman, René Diby, which put the integrity of the whole process in doubt.More from Citi Sports The Committee’s statement said it had “received a note, sent by 4 members of the Electoral Commission, denouncing the actions of the Chairman of their commission and declaring that they do not align themselves with the decisions that he and certain members of the commission have adopted.”Sidy Diallo, outgoing FIF PresidentDiby had reportedly approved Drogba’s application due to pressure from the overwhelming popular support for Drogba’s candidacy, as hundreds of his supporters accompanied the former Chelsea striker to submit his forms.He had believed that rejecting Drogba’s candidacy would have fuelled an already tense situation in the country with not just the FA Presidency elections but Ivory Coast’s presidential elections as well.According to FIF, he admitted “to have acted in all naivety, to preserve social cohesion, in this sensitive period and to have found an ad hoc solutionThis, FIF’s Executive Committee, felt compromised the elections.The statement concluded that the Executive Committee of FIF will ensure that the electoral processes adhere to the statutes of FIF, CAF, and FIFA.Drogba’s team had earlier stated that they would appeal to FIFA but it’s not clear whether an appeal has already been submitted.Disqualified aspirants have five days to submit their appeals.last_img read more