The Notre Dame student senate spent most of their weekly meeting discussing the new University housing policy, announced via email Sept. 13, requiring students to live on campus for six semesters beginning with the class of 2022.“As senate, since we’re the most representative body of the student body, we may not be able to change the University’s policy, but I think we can still do our job in stating our views and also potentially advise what it might look like,” King Fok, Club Coordination Council president, said.Patrick Paulsen, a proxy representing Morrissey Manor, said he has “not talked to a single person that likes this policy.”“In Father Jenkin’s letter, he says the intent of this policy is to keep seniors on campus, and I think it’s very obvious that this policy is going to drive more seniors off campus in the future,” Paulsen said. “… It’s appalling that the administration seems to not care for students.”Sibonay Shewit, student body vice president, said it was important to exhibit emotional restraint.“It’s much, much harder to get things done when we approach it with anger,” Shewit said.Ryan Hall senator Claire Saltzman, among others, also took issue with the method of announcement.“I think one of the things that upset me the most other than the actual content of the policy was how it was told to all of us,” Saltzman said. “We received an email at midnight and was told there was a town hall the next day. It came out of nowhere, and I think we should hold the University responsible and call them out on how awful it was.”Sophomore class president Joseph Witt said Student Affairs did not take the announcement lightly and considered many options before deciding on the email.Fok said he wondered if the policy was going to accomplish the goals of Student Affairs.“Having the three year policy, is that ensuring what they wanted in terms of dorm culture and dorm life?” Fok said. “I think if they want to be our landlord and be our university, then we should definitely make them accountable and even demand more as a student senate.”Many issues with dorm life must be addressed to make students willing to spend six semesters on campus, Fok said. Those issues include discrepancy in dorm and dining hall quality, the prevalence of sexual assault, fair enforcement of rules, dorm diversity, inclusion and drug and alcohol regulation.“There are so many avenues that we can approach this with, even if we are not tackling the policy head-on,” Fok said. “And I think this is where our role is. We need to voice what we want to make this look like. If we are staying on, what does the University have to do to meet us halfway?”The group discussed possible next steps, including a letter expressing their thoughts to Student Affairs, polls of student opinions, a report suggesting reviews to the policy and a peaceful protest outside of the Main Building. They said they hope to have a plan of action before Thanksgiving break.Tags: Club Coordination Council, Housing policy, Senate, Student Affairs
MN, Nationale Nederlanden, Mercer, Fidelity Worldwide Investments, Legal & General Investment Management, JP Morgan Asset Management, Santander Asset Management, Bradesco Asset Management, Russell Investments, Norges Bank Investment Management, BlueBay Asset Management, First Investments, BNP Paribas Securities Services, Affiliated Managers Group, Ashmore Group, Aviva Investors, Artemis, Hermes Investment Management, Tikehau CapitalMN – The €110bn asset manager and pensions provider has named Henri den Boer as director of pensions. Until last year, Den Boer served as chief executive and commercial director of corporate clients at Dutch insurer Nationale Nederlanden. He has also been chairman of the supervisory board at pensions provider and NN subsidiary AZL. According to René van de Kieft, chief executive at MN, Den Boer will play a “crucial role” in pensions reform at the company. He joins in August.Mercer – Magnus Schmagold has been named head of sales for the consultancy’s investment solutions team in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Schmagold joins from Fidelity Worldwide Investments, where he was director for pension and investment solutions. He joined the company in 2008.Legal & General Investment Management – Paul Sweeting has been appointed head of research within LGIM’s Solutions Group. He joins from JP Morgan Asset Management, where he was European head of the Strategy Group. Before then, he was a professor of Actuarial Science at the University of Kent. Santander Asset Management – Ileana Salas has been appointed global head of institutional sales. She joins from Bradesco Asset Management, where she served as head of business development and sales for Europe and the Middle East. Before then, she held senior business development roles at ABN Amro, Gartmore Investment Management and Schroders. Russell Investments – Van Luu has been appointed head of currency and fixed income strategy. He joins from Norges Bank Investment Management, where he was a senior analyst for investment policy and allocation strategies. Before then, he spent three years on the strategy team at Russell Investments.BlueBay Asset Management – The fixed income manager has appointed Soumyanshu Bhattacharya as institutional portfolio manager for the emerging markets sovereign team. Bhattacharya joins from JP Morgan Asset Management, where he was a client portfolio manager in the EM debt team. Before then, he worked at Deutsche Bank in the debt capital markets origination team.First Investments – Eric Pouwels has been appointed director of institutional relations at the €1bn Dutch asset manager. Pouwels will be responsible for expanding the company’s client base and maintaining relations with its existing clients. He joins from BNP Paribas Securities Services, where he was head of client development.Affiliated Managers Group – Robert Bee has been appointed director and head of distribution for the UK. He joins from Ashmore Group, where he oversaw new UK institutional business. Before then, he spent eight years at Schroders, latterly as head of UK and Ireland institutional business development.Aviva Investors – Giles Parkinson has been appointed as a global equities fund manager. He joins from Artemis, where he served as an analyst and fund manager. Before then, he was an oil and gas analyst at Newton Investment Management.Hermes Investment Management – Patrick Marshall has been appointed head of private debt and CLOs. He joins from Tikehau Capital, where he was responsible for developing direct lending activities in London and setting up a CLO program for Tikehau as first time issuer.
… Tournament concludes todayTHE International Karate Diagaku’s Caribbean Cup got going yesterday at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall (CASH), thrilling the hundreds who attended.The two-day event which wraps up today in Georgetown will see over 200 athletes from Antigua, Barbados, Grenada, Jamaica, St Vincent and the Grenadines, St Lucia, Suriname, Trinidad and Venezuela.The youngsters were not left out of the action. (Adrian Narine photos)Vice-Chairman/Vice-Chief Instructor of the Guyana Karate College, Sensei Jeffrey Wong contended that as a host, Guyana is ready for the event.Of those 200, 107 are Guyanese athletes, combined from the KFC and ASKG colleges.In unofficial results seen by Chronicle Sport, there was a gold medal for Guyana in the 17-19 female GKC in the kata and silver in the Bunkai.There were also gold medals in the seniors’ Over-50 for both kata and bunkai and gold for Guyana’s Aliyah Wong in the individual kataAdmission to the event is $500 and today’s event begins at 09:00hrs.
Also Read: Floyd Mayweather Leaves Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi Behind, Tops Forbes Rich ListAmir Khan hits back at haters So shocked by all the hate I’m getting on my Twitter & instagram for wishing everyone Merry Christmas and posting a picture with my family in Christmas outfits. Just want to tell those people ‘I don’t give a f**k’— Amir Khan (@amirkingkhan) December 26, 2019 Written By Suraj Alva Wishing you a magical and blissful holiday! Merry Christmas 🎄 #khanfamily @FaryalxMakhdoom #MerryChrismas pic.twitter.com/Lli9NRPhRd— Amir Khan (@amirkingkhan) December 25, 2019 WATCH US LIVE FOLLOW US SUBSCRIBE TO US LIVE TV First Published: 30th December, 2019 17:02 IST Also Read: Mike Tyson Slams Floyd Mayweather For Calling Himself Greater Than Muhammad AliAmir Khan boxing against Floyd MayweatherMeanwhile, the 33-year-old Amir Khan has refused to rule out fighting Floyd Mayweather after the American announced that he is planning his in-ring return. Mayweather hasn’t had a professional match since defeating Conor McGregor in an exhibition bout in August 2017. But Amir Khan has said he still wants to face the 42-year-old in the twilight of his career after never getting ‘Money’ in his prime. He also hoped to fight Manny Pacquiao along with Floyd Mayweather. Also Read: Boxing: Manny Pacquiao’s 3 Fights Before Floyd Mayweather 2020 RematchAmir Khan on boxing in England Amir Khan was born and raised in Manchester. He has also won an Olympic silver medal for Britain. He said that he hopes to be back in the ring during March-April 2020. Speaking to IFL TV, Khan confirmed that his team is looking at a location, and then hopefully after that, he will confirm his comeback fight. Also Read: Olympian Sumit Sangwan Suspended For 1 Year For Failing Dope Test British boxer Amir Khan’s Christmas celebration received a lot of flak with harsh comments directed towards the boxer for posting a picture with his family on his social media accounts and wishing his fans on the occasion of Christmas recently. The post has drawn mixed reactions with few questioning him for celebrating Christmas despite being a Muslim. Khan has often come under controversy primarily due to his Pakistani origin and religion, despite being a British boxer since the beginning. COMMENT Last Updated: 30th December, 2019 17:02 IST Amir Khan Hits Back At Haters Over Christmas Wishes; Vows To Come Back Strong In 2020 Amir Khan hit back at his haters saying he doesn’t care and said he was shocked by all the hate he received on his Twitter & Instagram for wishing Christmas.
Charlie McConalogue TDNew figures obtained by Fianna Fáil TD Charlie McConalogue have revealed a shocking surge in social housing waiting lists in Donegal over the past two years.The information supplied to Fianna Fáil through Freedom of Information, shows that social housing waiting lists at Donegal County Council are actually 48% higher than the Government has led us to believe.Official figures from the Department of the Environment and Local Government show that there are 1,675 applicants for social housing at Donegal County Council. However this latest information reveals that the true figure is 2,472 applicants. Deputy McConalogue explained, “These new figures reveal the true extent of the housing crisis in Co. Donegal. The Government has been using outdated figures at a national level to mask the true extent of the crisis, but the cat is out of the bag now.“All official figures quoted by the Government on social housing waiting lists are from 2013, and are therefore two years old. The documents received by Fianna Fáil show that Donegal County Council has seen a massive increase in demand for social housing. However bad we thought the housing crisis in Donegal was, it is actually immeasurably worse. There are now 2,472 applicants on the social housing waiting list in Donegal. Nationally, the figure is 130,000 – much higher than the 90,000 figure that the government has been using to date.“The increase in Donegal over the past two years is higher than the national average increase. Behind all of these numbers are countless extremely upsetting cases of families who have no place to call home. I am inundated on a weekly basis with families contacting me who are desperate for help to find a home. Many are stuck in totally inappropriate emergency accommodation, packed into hotel rooms with young children and no idea where they will go next.“The extent of the problem must be obvious to any public representative here in Donegal. The housing emergency has exploded out of control. By downplaying the extent of the crisis, the Government is doing a gross disservice to the public and to the many charities that are working on the ground. I am calling on the Government TDs here in Donegal to stop hiding on this issue. Wake up, stop the spin, put an end to the empty PR announcements and start taking real action to tackle this emergency.” DONEGAL’S SHOCKING SOCIAL HOUSING WAITING LISTS REVEALED was last modified: September 8th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalsocial housingwaiting lists