Man Utd set Villa playmaker as new priority target

zksweugm

first_img The Aston Villa skipper is top of the wanted list for boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as he seeks to push the Red Devils back in the big-time, according to a report in the Sunday Mirror. The 24-year-old playmaker is said to have been ‘at the centre of detailed due diligence that’s being undertaken by senior figures at Old Trafford’ over a potential £80m move. Despite Grealish breaking lockdown rules to attend a house-party with former team-mate Ross McCormack – a move that ended with him picking up a £150,000 club fine – that has not put off United chief Solskjaer.Advertisement Jack Grealish is now Manchester United’s No.1 summer transfer target, according to reports in Sunday’s press. But with cash at a premium this summer, United will prioritise Grealish over Jadon Sancho – especially as Borussia Dortmund are unwilling to lower their £100m asking price. The Bundesliga giants were asking a nine-figure fee for the England international and are happy to hold onto him for another season, despite alleged interest from Real Madrid, while Liverpool are also said to be back in the chase for the attacker. That kind of outlay is reportedly becoming increasingly difficult for United to justify, with respect to Sancho, but Grealish is said to have captured the attention of the decision-makers at the club and, regardless of whether Villa are relegated, the Norwegian will press the button on the deal. read also:Security Palaver: Villa’s Jack Grealish acquires £25,000 guard dog Meanwhile, Grealish’s agent Jonathan Barnett has also hinted that a move could be on tha cards when dicussing the future of the Villa star, as well another of his clients, Saul Niguez – who is also a United target. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 center_img Loading…last_img read more

Keane enjoying O’Neill partnership

ucpxsaxg

first_imgRoy Keane is relishing the opportunity to bring his winning mentality to Ireland’s bid to qualify for Euro 2016. The 42-year-old former skipper admits he has enjoyed the four months that have passed since he accepted new manager Martin O’Neill’s invitation to become his assistant. However, having attended last week’s draw for the new qualifying campaign in Nice, which saw Ireland pitched into battle with Germany, Poland, Scotland, Georgia and Gibraltar, along with O’Neill, Keane is desperate for the pleasantries to end. “But I always said to the players and every time I have been involved with Ireland, you have got to believe you can go and win every football match, and hopefully that’s what we can bring to the group. “It’s a very tough group, but one we’re looking forward to. Everybody keeps saying that we’re going to be up against some good teams, but we’re a good team so, no, roll on September, we’ll be ready.” O’Neill, Keane and the bulk of their squad met up in Portmarnock on Sunday to begin preparations for Wednesday night’s friendly against Serbia at the Aviva Stadium. Sunderland skipper John O’Shea, who suffered Capital One Cup final heartache at Wembley, and Crystal Palace defender Damien Delaney were both due to join up later on Monday, while QPR keeper Brian Murphy has been drafted in as cover for injured Newcastle counterpart Rob Elliot. Those members of the party who had already arrived trained at Malahide on Monday morning, among them Hull midfielder David Meyler following his brush with Newcastle manager Alan Pardew on Saturday. However, Keane refused to be drawn into the row when asked about Pardew’s behaviour. He said: “I have no comment on it, I have no real interest. It’s none of my business.” Asked further about how Meyler was, Keane added: “He’s fine. You have seen him training, he’s having a good season for Hull and it’s good to have him involved. “Obviously I know him from my days at Sunderland, I took him over from Cork City. Meyler’s a good lad and it’s nice to have him back involved in the squad. “There’s an opportunity there for him, and what’s good for Meyler is he is back in the Hull team, he’s playing regularly and that will always give you a chance at international level.” Keane himself, of course, has been no stranger to controversy over the years, but he was unmoved by a weekend newspaper interview with formerIreland boss Mick McCarthy which revisited the fall-out from the pair’s clash in Saipan in 2002. Asked if he had rolled his eyes when he saw the report, Keane replied with a smile: “Well, I roll my eyes most mornings. It doesn’t surprise me. I have no problem.” The pair led their side to a 3-0 home victory over Latvia and a goalless draw in Poland in November, but are now looking toward the games which really matter. Keane said: “I am enjoying working with Martin and (goalkeeping coach) Seamus McDonagh and all the rest of the staff and the players. “But we know, obviously, the bigger tests are to come. If we couldn’t have enjoyed the last few months, there’s something wrong. “We understand it will get serious in the next few months, and even with these friendlies – people have been very polite and give us good backing, but we are here to get results. “We are under no illusions about that, Martin and myself. We have been in the game long enough. “It’s well and good getting pats on the back, but we are here to win football matches, and that will be tough. But we are ready for it.” The draw process and the Group D fixture list which has now been drawn up have served to focus attention, and Keane admits he cannot wait for September and the opening game in Georgia to come around. He said: “I enjoyed the trip with Martin last week and I am looking forward to the games, very tough games for different reasons. Press Associationlast_img read more