Workers’ comp judges up for reappointment


first_imgWorkers’ comp judges up for reappointment Workers’ comp judges up for reappointment The Statewide Nominating Commission for Judges of Compensation Claims will meet June 13 at 9 a.m. at the Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport at 9300 Airport Blvd. for the purpose of interviewing the following workers’ compensation judges for reappointment: Judge Ivy Harris, Judge Diane Beck, Judge David Langham, Judge Kathryn Pecko, and Judge S. Scott Stephens.Any questions or comments relating to any of the above judges of compensation claims should be directed to: Victor Marrero, Commission Chair, Director of Risk Management, Broward Sheriff’s Office, Ft. Lauderdale 33312; telephone (954) 831-8358; fax (954) 321-4587; and e-mail [email protected] June 1, 2005 Regular Newslast_img read more

Humpback Whale Spotted in Long Island Sound


first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A humpback whale sighting in the Long Island Sound near Port Washington over the Labor Day weekend prompted experts to remind boaters to give the whale its space.Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation biologists are monitoring the whale’s movements and urging the boating public to stay at least 150 feet away from the creature.“They are federally protected, and interacting with them in any way falls under harassment,” said Rachel Bosworth, a spokeswoman for the group, which noted that such sightings are not unusual.The whale appears to have first made news when it was spotted Aug. 30 in the Sound off Milford, Conn., more than 50 miles northeast of Port Washington, where boaters reported a similar sighting on Labor Day, Sept. 7.“I’ve never seen anything like it,” Mark Tutino, who spotted the whale breaching last week, told News 12 Connecticut.Humpback whales, among the largest mammal species, have a life span of 45-to-50 years, eating only krill, plankton and small fish. They have been protected worldwide since 1966 because of the decrease in their population. It is believed that there are only 30,000-40,000 humpback whales left, which is only 30 percent of their original population.The humpback sighting isn’t the only whale reported in the Sound lately. A trio of Beluga whales was spotted in the waterway in May.Marine biologists have been unable to perform a health assessment of the humpback whale because it is swimming freely, but the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation have been notified.Riverhead Foundation officials ask anyone who spots the whale to call them at 631-369-9829. Videos or photos may be sent to [email protected]last_img read more



first_imgDonegal Junior LeagueReports Old Orchard Saturday Division OneArranmore United 2 Glenea United Reserves 2Glenea started the brighter of the two sides with the aid of a breeze at their backs and had the Arranmore defence on the back foot from the off. Arranmore gradually worked their way into the game and took the lead on 25 minutes when Daniel O’ Donnell hit a low shot that found the corner of the Glenea net. Arranmore doubled their lead on 35 minutes when Conor Proctor latched onto a through ball and finished into the bottom corner. The second half began the same as the first with Glenea applying pressure on the Arranmore defence and they pulled a goal back after a crossfield ball was finished well on the half volley. Shortly afterwards Glenea got an equaliser when Dean Mc Carry burst through the home defence and slotted home. The game peetered out after this with neither side creating any clear cut chances. A team effort from both sides. Referee: Brian O KaneOrchard FC 8 St Catherines Reserves 1 Orchard United took on St. Catherine’s Reserves from Killybegs and had the pressure on form the kick off. After only seven minutes Sean McLaughlin of Orchard hit the back of the net. Further goals from Niall Bonner, Eddie Moore, Michael Doherty, Kissy Mc Laughlin and a Hat-Trick from Sean Mc Laughlin completed the route for the Letterkenny based outfit. Referee: Barry Hunter.Erne Wanderers 2 Glenree United Reserves 1Erne Wanderers hosted Glenree United on Saturday at the lakeside in perfect conditions. The game was fiercely contested from the first minute but the home side got the breakthrough on eight minutes when Ryan O’ Brien broke the offside trap and finished at the second attempt. The hosts created numerous chances before halftime but couldn’t force a second. Wanderers were hit with a sucker punch 5 minutes into the second half when Glenree levelled through Kevin Martin. Wanderers hit the front again with 10 minutes left on the clock when McNulty did really well to win a free in the inside left position 25 yards out. Liam Travers hit the free kick over the wall and into the net. Referee: Seamus Mc Groary.Glencar Inn Saturday Division TwoCranford United Reserves 3 Drumoghill FC Reserves 2Drumoghill took an early lead and Cranford responded with Ryan McDaid scoring 5 minutes before half time. The first 20 minutes of the second half was a very open affair with both team creating chances and the game being played at a high tempo. Jay Dee Alawiye won and converted a penalty to put the home side ahead. With 10 minutes left Drumoghill’s flying trout hooked himself a screamer to level up the game. Joe Gallagher poached a late winner to give the Cranford the points. Good team performance from Drumoghill who were unlucky not to at least take a point from the game. Best for Cranford Jay Dee Alawiye, Odhran Coll and Seamie Carr. Gweedore United Reserves 4 Mulroy Celtic 2This game was played in wet and windy conditions in Gweedore. Mulroy took the lead after 3 minutes with a tap in from three yards . Gweedore hit straight back direct from a corner from Marty Doohan before taking the lead through a good Stephen O’ Donnell finish. Mulroy levelled at 2-2 when they were awarded a penalty. Conditions were difficult but Stephen O’ Donnell grabbed a second and Gweedore united’s third just before half time. Stephen O’ Donnell then grabbed the hat-trick and the points for Gweedore 15 minutes into the second half. Referee: Michael MulhernFAI Junior Cup SaturdayGlencar Celtic 3 Carndonagh FC 1 This game was played in excellent conditions at the flagpole. With both of these teams champions of their respective leagues there was a point to be proven by both. The game started slowly with Glencar keeping the ball well along the backline without any real penetration and the Inishowen champions. Glencar grew in confidence and got their passing game going and were rewarded for their patience after a superb through ball form Steven Browne found Michael Molloy who finished well for his third goal in two games to put Glencar one up. The Letterkenny men eventually got their second of the game ten minutes before the break. Great strength from Mark Graham to hold off his man and pull the ball down before he then threaded the ball into Browne who finished well into the bottom corner.Carndonagh got rewarded for all their pressure and scored with nine minutes left on the clock. The Letterkenny men were by no means in the mood to lie down and throw away their two goal cushion and in the dying minutes substitute Jerome Burke broke free down the left flank beat his man and slotted past the keeper to the delight of the Glencar men who continue their fine start to the season. Referee: Ed MooreTullyvinney Rovers 1 Curragh Athletic 5A rampant Curragh side comprehensively defeated an understrength Tullyvinney Rovers team in Crossroads Park on Saturday afternoon. In great conditions for football a good local derby crowd turned up for the occasion. Four goals in the first half put the game to bed for the Killygordon side through Dan O’Brien, two from Calvin Bradley and one from Colm Melaugh. Tullyvinney came out with renewed belief in the second half and fought hard to get back into the game, Dan Square McNulty scoring his second penalty of the season after Paul Carlin was taken down in the Curragh box. The game was over as a contest when Oisin McConnell saw his long downfield pass somehow find it’s way into the net via an awkward bounce to make it 5-1 to the visiting side. Best for Curragh, Neil Lloyd and Calvin Bradley. Team performance from Tullyvinney.Brian McCormick Sports Premier DivisionSt Catherines 2 Donegal Town 1On five minutes Donegal Town took the lead when Daniel Mc Hugh rounded O’ Hara and he crossed the ball into the Saints’ box where a Donegal player tucked the ball into the Saints’ net. On fourteen minutes, after the ball was cleared by the Donegal defence, Shane O’ Rourke from 25 yards hit an unstoppable volley and it dipped over the Donegal keeper’s head to level the scores. Level at the break. The second half started with both teams looking to get ahead. In the fifty ninth minute Conor O’ Rourke crossed the ball into the Donegal penalty area and somehow everybody missed it and it went into the bottom corner of the Donegal net to make it2-1 to the Saints. Best for St Catherine’s was Christopher Murrin. Best for Donegal was JP Byrne.CT Ball Division TwoDunlewy Celtic 1 Letterbarrow Celtic 0This game was very lively with both sides attacking right from the start but it remained scoreless at half time. The second half started well for the visitors with James Mc Groary going close but it was the home side who took the lead when a Patrick Cannon cross was converted. The visitors had most of the ball in the second half as they looked to get on level terms but the home side held on to the end. Best for Dunlewy were Patrick Cannon, John Cannon and Shaun Mc Garvey.FAI Junior Cup SundayRaphoe Town 1 Milford United 3Raphoe Town welcomed Premier Division kingpins Milford United on what was a fine day for football. Milford started this game well and on 5 minutes took the lead when a Raphoe Town player headed past his own keeper Paul Carberry while being put under pressure by the Milford attacker. They increased their lead five minutes later when Raphoe dwelled too long on the ball and were punished by a clinical finish by the Milford forward . Milford must have thought this was going to be a walk in the park after this but this young Raphoe team is made of stern stuff and pinned the Premier Division team back for the rest of the half. Keelin Gillen and Lee Smith were causing havoc down the wings and after some fantastic football Gillen scored with a cool finish after a great ball from Smyth. Raphoe continued to dominate in the second half with sub Jamie Gallagher and the outstanding Oliver Quinn having chances to draw level. Milford secured the win on 80 minutes when they scored a fine goal from the edge of the box. Referee: Gerry GallagherGweedore Celtic 2 Ramelton Mariners 1A Declan Doherty goal five minutes from the end of extra time settled this cup tie at An Screaban. The home team went ahead on twenty minutes when an Eamonn Curran free kick was headed home by Paul Rua McBride. A Ramelton effort on thirty minutes came off the crossbar. Gweedore had a good spell early in the second half but failed to capitalise on several good chances. Shane Mc Clafferty hit the post and Kieran Mc Ginley’s header was cleared off the line. Fifteen minutes into the second half the visitors drew level with Corey Mc Cahill volleyed home from the edge of the box. Despite the best efforts of both teams there was no further scoring in normal time. Best for Gweedore were Brendan Devine, Kevin Friel and Paul Rua McBride. A team performance by Ramelton. Referee : Joe McHughKilmacrennan Celtic 3 Clones Town 1Kilmacrennan came out on top in this hotly contested game and move into the next round. Kilmac entered the game with a depleted squad but a good team performance saw them through. Kilmac took the lead after 30 minutes when Gary Gorman volleyed into the bottom corner following a Timmy Burke through ball. They went two up on 70 minutes when Seamie Peoples broke down the left wing before crossing for Timmy Burke to knock home. With ten minutes remaining Clones got one back before a late goal from Gary Gorman sealed the tie.Ballybofey United 4 Fintown Harps AFC 3This was surely one of the most entertaining ties of the round with the lead changing hands twice in an eventful second half. Ballybofey dominated the opening half with Ryan Kelly giving them an early lead. Reliant on scraps and breakaways Fintown drew level on twenty six minutes when Shan Mc Millan blasted home from inside the box. Mark Griffin then went on a mazy run which ended when his wicked cross was turned into his own net by a Fintown defender giving the home side a half time advantage.Ciaran Thompson re-levelled the match for Fintown before Mc Millan was again on target much to the disbelief of the home side who really should have had the tie won at this stage. Ballybofey regained parity when the lively Griffin scored and he did so again with the clock running down to assure the Twin Towns outfit have their name in the hat for the next round. Referee: Con Mc Laughlin.Deele Harps 0 Gweedore United 2Deele welcomed Gweedore United to The Athletic Grounds for this Cup clash. A much changed Deele side due to a long injury list gave a very good account of themselves and were unfortunate to lose out. In an evenly contested match chances were limited with the defences on top. The game changed in the 65th minute when a mix up in the Deele rearguard led to a free on the edge of the box but Willie Curran saved well. Deele lost their way after this and Gweedore took the lead on 70 minutes when a corner took a number of deflections before substitute Francis Gallagher nodded home on the line. Deele pressed for the equaliser but in doing so left gaps and an unchallenged cross into the box eluded the Deele defence and super sub Francis Gallagher headed his 2nd goal with the final whistle imminent.Bonagee United 2 Culdaff FC 4Culdaff went ahead on twelve minutes when Darren Mullarkey, wide on the right, cut inside the defender and hammered home from the edge of the box. Bonagee levelled the match on thirty five minutes when a good through ball from Sean Crossan to Noel O’ Donnell saw the striker turn the defender and his shot found the bottom corner of the net. O’ Donnell put the home side ahead three minutes later when Frank Mc Brearty put him through and he hammered home from just inside the box. Culdaff levelled the match on forty nine minutes when Niall Mc Laughlin headed home from a cross from the right by Niall Gordan. The big striker was causing the home defence a lot of problems in the air and got his second ten minutes later when he headed home a Darren Mullarkey cross from the left from ten yards. Both sides had half chances but both keepers dealt with poor finishing from both teams. Culdaff got the final goal of the game on seventy minutes when Darren Mullarkey wide on the right cut inside the defender and his strike from thirty yards flew right into the top corner of the net. Team effort by both sides. Referee: Paddy Duffy.Keadue Rovers 0 Whitestrand United 3Whitestrand are through to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup after this good victory over an understrength Keadue side at Central Park. Conditions were ideal for football and Keadue had the first chance on nine minutes. Following good work on the right wing, the ball fell to Aaron Boyle, who shot just wide of the left hand post. The home team remained slightly the better team until the twentieth minute however a misplaced pass in midfield led to Paddy Sheridan finding space and lobbing Keadue keeper Danny Rodgers for a fine finish. Whitestrand gained more of a foothold after the goal and in the twenty seventh minute they went two nil up. Following some good work in the build up the ball made its way to Kevin Mc Carry on the edge of the area and he turned and shot low to the corner of the net. Paul Lynch added a third for the visitors when he powerfully headed home midway through the second half. Best for Keadue Danny Rodgers and Chris Greene. Best for Whitestrand Sean Paul Gallagher and Paddy Sheridan. Referee: John CoyleDrumoghill FC 7 Carrowmena FC 1Drumoghill FC cruised through to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup with a polished performance against a young Carrowmena side. Despite the scoreline Carrowmena competed well and always tried to play the game the way it should be played but they were up against a Drumoghill team that were hungry for goals. Carrowmena actually opened the scoring through Aidan McLaughlin on 12minutes. McLaughlin sprinted onto a through ball, rounded McCauley and slotted home in style. The lead though was short lived when Pajo Rafferty equalised on 18 minutes just before his strike partner, Liam O’Donnell, put his side ahead. Both would go onto complete hat tricks to add to second half goals from Chris O’Donnell and Jason Flood ‎to complete the scoring. Referee: Kevin Logue.Kildrum Tigers 5 Convoy Arsenal 4Kildrum Tigers got their first win of the season today with a hard earned 5-4 victory over Convoy Arsenal. The Tigers got off to a sloppy start and found themselves a goal down after three minutes when they let Lee Guthrie in at the back post for a tap in. Kildrum got back on level terms straight away when William Lynch finished from the edge of the box after a Damian Crossan layoff. Kildrum went ahead after 25 minutes when Barry O’Donnell calmly finished from the penalty spot. Convoy got back on level terms on 37 minutes through Jonny Robb from the penalty spot when John Roulston brought down Guthrie. Kildrum went 3-2 up early in the second half when a Damian Crossan effort was misjudged by the Convoy keeper and ended up in the net. Convoy got back on level terms on 63 minutes through a fine Brolly strike from 18 yards. The Tigers struck the lead again on 73 minutes when a Brian Coll through ball was neatly finished by William Lynch. Kildrum got their fifth when Gareth Colhoun beat three men on the left hand side before squaring for William Lynch to complete his hat-trick. Convoy ensured a nervy end to game when they pulled one back with three minutes to go but the Tigers held on to progress into the next round of the FAI junior cup.Castlefin Celtic 3 Glenea United 2Castlefin took the lead after 15 minutes when PJ Mc Menamin’s long range pass from his own half found the head of Simon Mc Glinchey, who connected well to head the ball into the net. Castlefin should have doubled their lead on the half hour when Barry Tourish’s 20yard strike was well saved by Glenea keeper Joe Coll. Glenea’s best chance of the first half fell to Gavin Mc Glanaghey, his powerful strike bringing a great save from Castlefin keeper Anthony O’Hagan. Glenea started the second half the brighter finding the equaliser when Michael Barry beat the offside trap and calmly finished from 6 yards. Glenea took the lead in the 67th minute after putting the Castlefin defence under pressure, Gavin Mc Glanaghey heading home. Castlefin equalised on 75 minutes when Ian Ward won a penalty after he was fouled in the box. Ronan Tourish scored from the spot. It was Castlefin who got the final goal minutes from the end, Ian Wards excellent pass from the halfway line finding Barry Tourish on the edge of the box. Tourish made no mistake with his finish, chipping the keeper. Referee: Marty Quinn. Best for Castlefin: Barry Tourish and Anthony O’HaganRathmullan Celtic 2 Lagan Harps 1A brace from Rathmullan Celtic midfield maestro Chris McBride proved enough to see Paddy Sheridan’s Hoops progress to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup over a resolute Lagan Harps side who played their part in an entertaining cup clash with Jerome Gibson registering for the Lagansiders at the Flagpole. It was McBride who broke the deadlock on the quarter hour mark with a thunderous free kick from 30 yards soaring into the top corner giving Harps’ keeper Tony Blake no chance. The Lagansiders came back into the tie on 40 minutes when Gibson had the simplest of tap in’s from six yards out following a Lagan corner which was not dealt with by the Hoops defence to leave it all square at half time. On eighty minutes Connolly passed inside to Curran and the experienced striker played in Mc Bride who nutmegged the Lagan defender before calmly finishing with a low strike into the bottom right hand corner. Referee: Paddy Mc NaughtDonegal Junior LeagueResultsOld Orchard Saturday Division OneArranmore United 2 v 2 Glenea United ReservesOrchard FC 8 v 1 St Catherines ReservesErne Wanderers 2 v 1 Glenree United ReservesGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoCranford United Reserves 3 v 2 Drumoghill FC ReservesGweedore United Reserves 4 v 2 Mulroy CelticFAI Junior Cup SaturdayGlencar Celtic 3 v 1 Carndonagh FCTullyvinney Rovers 1 v 5 Curragh AthleticBrian McCormick Sports Premier DivisionSt Catherines 2 v 1 Donegal TownCT Ball Division TwoDunlewy Celtic 1 v 0 Letterbarrow CelticFAI Junior Cup SundayRaphoe Town 1 v 3 Milford UnitedGweedore Celtic 2 v 1 Ramelton MarinersKilmacrennan Celtic 3 v 1 Clones TownBallybofey United 4 v 3 Fintown Harps AFCDeele Harps 0 v 2 Gweedore UnitedBonagee United 2 v 4 Culdaff FCKeadue Rovers 0 v 3 Whitestrand UnitedCockhill Celtic Youths 2 v 0 Cranford UnitedDrumoghill FC 7 v 1 Carrowmena FCKildrum Tigers 5 v 4 Convoy ArsenalCastlefin Celtic 3 v 2 Glenea UnitedIllies Celtic 6 v 0 Copany RoversRathmullan Celtic 2 v 1 Lagan HarpsDonegal Junior LeagueFixturesFriday 03-10-2014 K.O. 7.45p.m.CT Ball Division TwoConvoy Arsenal v Ballybofey UnitedSaturday 04-10-2014 K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)Old Orchard Saturday Division OneFintown Harps AFC v Donegal Town ReservesGlencar Celtic v Castlefin Celtic ReservesGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoDrumoghill F.C. Reserves v Ramelton MarinersKeadue Rovers Reserves v Tullyvinney RoversCurragh Athletic Reserves v Strand RoversDrumbar F.C. v Mulroy CelticMilford United Reserves v Gweedore United ReservesSunday 05-10-2014Brian McCormick Sports Premier DivisionGweedore Celtic v Rathmullan CelticCranford United v Kildrum TigersLifford Celtic v Donegal TownWatson Hire Division OneKilmacrennan Celtic v Copany RoversCurragh Athletic v Dunkineely CelticCastlefin Celtic v Gweedore UnitedLagan Harps v Keadue RoversKerrykeel ’71 F.C. v Whitestrand UnitedCT Ball Division TwoBonagee United v Dunlewy CelticRaphoe Town v Eany CelticDeele Harps v Letterbarrow CelticDONEGAL LEAGUE: ALL THE REPORTS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: September 28th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Leaguelast_img read more