MyanmarAsia – Pacific Thai premier, UN rapporteurs asked to prevent journalists being returned to Myanmar US journalist held in Yangon prison notorious for torture News Receive email alerts to go further MyanmarAsia – Pacific Help by sharing this information News News Organisation News May 26, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders and the Burma Media Association welcome the release of two journalists who were arrested during last month’s protests. Win Ko Ko Latt of Weekly Eleven Journal and Nay Linn Aung of 7-Days Journal were freed in the past couple of days, their newspapers said today.______________________________________________________________22.10.2007Reporters Without Borders and the Burma Media Association voiced concern today about a news photographer’s disappearance and condemned the continuing detention of eight journalists, three of whom were arrested at the beginning of the wave of demonstrations by Buddhist monks and the ensuing crackdown. Both organisations fear more arrests.“Despite the UN General Assembly’s condemnation and the reactions of many governments, the generals still refuse to release hundreds of detained protesters,” both organisations said. “We call in particular for the immediate release of all detained journalists.”Ko Thu Ya Soe, a 30-year-old photographer who works for the German agency EPA, has been missing since the start of October. He was last seen taking photos near the Sule pagoda in Rangoon. No one, not even his family, has any idea where he is.Among the journalists still held are Win Ko Ko Latt, a reporter for Weekly Eleven Journal who was arrested on 27 September, Win Saing, a photographer arrested on 28 August, and Nay Linn Aung, a reporter for 7-Days Journal.Writer Maung Yan Paing, cameraman Mi Htin Ko Ko Gyi, actor Kyaw Thu and his wife, poet Ye Lwin, who is also the singer of the MizzimaWave Band, and the comedian Zargana, also known as the “Burmese Charlie Chaplin,” have all been released. Zargana, who was arrested in Rangoon on 25 September after openly supporting the monks, was freed on 17 October.Khin Mar Lar, the wife of journalist and documentary filmmaker Nyein Thit (also known as Thaung Tun), was released on 19 October. She had been arrested on 25 September in the Mandalay suburb of Amarapura. Nyein Thit has been in hiding since the start of the demonstrations. When the security forces went to arrest him, they found only his wife and children. Although she had not taken part in any demonstration, they took his wife, leaving the children to fend for themselves. Nyein Thit was jailed in 1999 after writing about press freedom violations, and was not freed until 2004.Five other journalists have been in prison since before the pro-democracy demonstrations. They are freelance photo-reporter Thaung Sein, Ko Moe Htun of the newspaper Dhamah-Yate, independent journalist Ne Min, Monywa Aung-Shin of the newspaper Sar-maw-khung and Win Tin of the newspaper Hanthawathi. RSF_en October 23, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 News photographer missing, eight other journalists still detained May 31, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Myanmar RSF asks Germany to let Myanmar journalist Mratt Kyaw Thu apply for asylum May 12, 2021 Find out more
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Suffolk County police are investigating an armed home invasion last week in Brentwood when a victim was pistol-whipped, authorities said.Three men entered the victim’s apartment, hit the person with a handgun and stole a cell phone and money, before they fled the scene at 12:15 a.m. Thursday, June 2, police said.The identity of the victim and the extent of the injuries were unclear. There were neither any arrests announced nor descriptions of the suspects available.Third Squad detectives are continuing the investigation.
Rami Abdul Rahman, head of the Britain-based Observatory, a monitor with a network of sources inside Syria, said “at least 46” people had been killed and 50 wounded, some critically, adding that the death toll could rise.At least six pro-Turkish Syrian fighters were among the dead, he added.In a post on its official Twitter account, the Observatory said 11 children were among those killed.It was not immediately clear who was behind the blast, one of the largest to rock Afrin since Turkish troops and allied rebels seized the region from Kurdish forces in March 2018 after a two-month air and ground offensive. Topics : A fuel truck bomb in a market in northern Syria killed at least 46 people including Turkish-backed rebel fighters on Tuesday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.The blast in Afrin, a city controlled by Ankara’s proxies, came as people went shopping in preparation to break the Ramadan fast, according to the US State Department, which condemned the attack as a “cowardly act of evil”.Photos released by the Syrian Civil Defence rescue workers, also known as the “White Helmets”, showed firefighters battling to douse flames amid gutted buildings and rescue workers carrying charred bodies away from the scene on makeshift stretchers. The Turkish defense ministry blamed the attack on the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG), which it views as a “terrorist” offshoot of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).”The enemy of humanity PKK/YPG has once again targeted innocent civilians in Afrin,” the Turkish ministry said on Twitter.US State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said the attack had claimed the “lives of dozens of people shopping in the central market as they prepared to break the Ramadan fast”.”Such cowardly acts of evil are unacceptable from any side in this conflict.” The PKK has been waging a bloody insurgency in Turkey for three decades.In January, at least seven people were killed in a car bombing in Azaz, another northern city held by pro-Turkey forces, according to the Observatory.The Syrian conflict has killed more than 380,000 people since 2011 and forced more than half of the country’s pre-war population from their homes.
Praising the England players for winning their fourth World Cup title, India skipper Mithali Raj rued that the inexperience of her teammates and their inability to hold their nerves during the crucial moments proved to be the difference between the two teams in the final.India suffered a spectacular middle and lower order batting collapse to lose by nine runs to England in a nail-biting final of the ICC Women’s World Cup at the Lords cricket ground here on Sunday.”It wasn’t easy for England but credit to them for holding their nerve. There was as time when the match was in the balance and could have gone either way. But that was the situation when we panicked and they came out victorious. England did well in those crunch moments which turned the game,” Mithali said at the post match presentation.Electing to bat first, England produced a competitive total of 228 for seven in their 50 overs.The Indian eves rode on half-centuries from opener Punam Raut and Harmanpreet Kaur to almost overhauling the target.Punam scored 86 runs off 115 balls while Harmanpreet scored 51 off 80.Punam and Harmanpreet added 95 runs between them in 128 balls and helped to steady the Indian innings following the loss of two early wickets.However, the Indian eves seemed to lose their wits towards the end, losing seven wickets for just 28 runs to be all out for 219 runs in 48.4 overs.Mithali however, praised the Indian players for their performance and blamed inexperience for their inability to win the maiden women’s World Cup for India. She also picked out veteran pacer veteran pacer Jhulan Goswami for special praise for her performance throughout the tournament.advertisementJhulan bowled well in the final, picking up three crucial wickets while conceeding just 23 runs in her 10 overs.”I want to tell my girls that I am very proud of them, the way made a comeback into the tournament. They didn’t make any match easy for any of the other teams. I would also like to thank the crowds for coming up in large numbers to support women’s cricket,” she said.”Jhulan is an experienced bowler and has always delivered when the team required and gave her best performance. Her bowling spell could have turned into a match winning one but I knew England had a lot of depth in their batting.”Our team was bit inexperienced as they playing their first World Cup final. But I think all the youngsters tried their best. I think this experience will help them in the future,” she added.”Jhulan has had an excellent career, very long and inspirational for young cricketers. I am sure people at home would now look up to women cricketers.”The Indian captain also said that she will retire before the next World Cup in 2021.”I do see myself playing for a couple of years but I don’t see myself playing another World Cup,” she said.