About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Newcastle boss Bruce happy with his forward optionsby Paul Vegas4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United manager Steve Bruce says he’s happy with his forward options.Toon have scored just five goals in nine Premier League matches.”We’ve got options now. Andy and Dwight both came on, and we have options in the final third now,” Bruce said.”It’s only the second game for Allan, too, and he’s got a lot of fitness work to catch up on. We’re hoping that he can stay well because he is a threat and, of course, Almiron is a very decent player, too.”He looks a little bit short on confidence at the moment because he hasn’t scored a goal. We hope that can return, but it only really returns when he gets one, which will hopefully be next week.”
Jameis Winston, the probable No. 1 pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, is currently showing off his abilities at Florida State’s pro day in Tallahassee. He’s reportedly going to throw between 90-110 passes. One of those passes really got away from him, leading to a pretty big collision on the sideline at the Semionles’ indoor facility. Check it out: Keep your head on a swivel, camera guy.
zoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license Investment holding company Fairfax India has secured a 41.4% share in Seven Islands Shipping Limited by investing around INR 5 billion (USD 72.1 million) in the company.Seven Islands will use the proceeds of the direct subscription to expand its ocean-going fleet by acquiring additional vessels and for general corporate purposes.The investment was completed through a direct subscription and secondary acquisition of Seven Islands shares.Seven Islands, the second largest private tanker shipping company in India, transports products along the Indian coast as well as in international waters. The company owns 14 vessels with a total capacity of 1 million dwt.“Fairfax India’s long-term orientation, decentralized management style and high standards of corporate governance will enable us to expand our operations and grow the business, thus creating value for all stakeholders,” Captain Pinto, Managing Director of Seven Islands, said.
Patna: At least 42 people have died in rain-related incidents in Bihar following a torrential spell that took place between September 27 and 30, authorities said.The state continued to trudge towards normalcy on Wednesday with intensified rescue and relief operations and water being pumped out of submerged localities. With a let up in the showers since Monday, restoration work was on in full swing. Supervising rescue and rehabilitation work in Patna on late Tuesday night, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar urged people to “have patience”. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadAccording to a release issued by the state disaster management department, 42 casualties have been reported so far from the districts affected by the heavy rainfall, though a district-wise break-up was not yet available. The release put the total number of people affected by the devastating spell at 17.09 lakh. The districts hit by the disaster were Patna, Bhojpur, Bhagalpur, Khagaria, Samastipur, Begusarai, Lakhisarai and Vaishali situated on either side of the Ganga besides Arwal, Nawada and Nalanda in the Magadh region and Darbhanga and Katihar in Mithila. Also Read – Firms staying closed 10 days a month due to recession, govt doing nothing: Priyanka GandhiThe state capital, which has been among the worst- affected, was pounded by 342.5 mm of rainfall during the period as against the state average of 255 mm, the release said. With restoration work being undertaken on a war-footing, all the sump houses were working at “full capacity” while three heavy-duty pumps have been brought in from Bilaspur to speedily flush out water from inundated areas of the city. Chief Minister Nitish Kumar waded through water-logged streets, with his pyjamas folded up to knees, supervising rescue and rehabilitation work. “All possible efforts are being made. People are urged to have patience….”
Washington: India needs the S-400 ‘Triumf’ missile defence system and has apprised the Trump administration of its decision to acquire them from Russia, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar has said, exuding confidence that the US would appreciate its rational. India announced its intention to acquire Russian-made S-400 surface-to-air missile systems in 2015. The delivery contract worth USD 5.43 billion was signed during the visit by Russian President Vladimir Putin to India last year. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange frameworkSenior Trump administration officials have cautioned India that the S-400 deal could attract sanctions under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) law that restricts defence purchases from Russia, Iran and North Korea. Responding to a question on the S-400 missile system purchase, Jaishankar, who is here on an official visit, said, “India has made a decision on the S-400, and we have discussed that with the US government. “I am reasonably convinced of the powers of my persuasion,” Jaishankar said, responding to a question from a Russian journalist on the possibility of US sanctions on India under CAATSA if New Delhi goes ahead with its decision to purchase the S-400 missile defence system from Russia.
Mumbai: The Indian rupee opened on a cautious note and fell 28 paise to 71.35 against the US dollar in early trade on Thursday amid rising crude oil prices and unabated foreign fund outflows. Forex traders said weak opening in domestic equities and rising demand for the US dollar vis-a-vis other currencies overseas also weighed on the domestic currency. At the Interbank Foreign Exchange, the rupee opened at 71.22 then fell to 71.35 against the US dollar, showing a decline of 28 paise over its previous closing. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: Icra The Indian rupee on Tuesday had closed at 71.07 against the US dollar. Forex market was closed on Wednesday on account of Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti. Meanwhile, brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, rose 0.03 per cent to USD 57.71 per barrel. Foreign institutional investors (FIIs) remained net sellers in the capital markets, pulling out Rs 1,298.56 crore on Tuesday, as per provisional data. Domestic bourses opened on a negative note on Thursday with benchmark indices Sensex trading 112.27 points down at 38,193.14 and Nifty lower by 43 points at 11,316.90. The dollar index, which gauges the greenback’s strength against a basket of six currencies, rose by 0.02 per cent to 99.04. The 10-year government bond yield was at 6.62 per cent in morning trade.
London: Apple CEO Time Cook has said that Apple does not intend to create its own cryptocurrency, saying he is firmly against the idea of companies setting up digital currencies. Taking a dig at Facebook’s attempt to launch a digital currency called Libra next year, Cook told French financial newspaper Les Echos that money must remain in the hands of states. “I am not comfortable with the idea that a private group creates a competing currency. A private company does not have to seek to gain power in this way,” Cook was quoted as saying. Also Read – Swiggy now in 500 Indian cities, targets 100 more this year Facebook that tied up with 27 organisations to start the non-profit Libra Association to launch its cryptocurrency next year appears to have hit a roadblock. According to a report in The Wall Street Journal, Visa, Mastercard and some other financial partners who signed on to support Libra are reconsidering their involvement in the network. “The financial partners are reluctant to attract regulatory scrutiny following backlash from governments and banks and have declined Facebook’s requests to publicly support the project,” the report said on Tuesday. Also Read – New HP Pavilion x360 notebook with in-built Alexa in India The US lawmakers recently attacked Facebook, calling it “delusional” and “dangerous”, directing the social networking giant to clean up its house first before launching a new business model. According to Cook, money, like defence, must remain in the hands of states. “It is at the heart of their mission. We elect our representatives to assume government responsibilities. Companies are not elected, they do not have to go for this,” he added. The Apple CEO Tim who is currently in Europe made an appearance at an event at the non-profit organization Osservatorio Permanente in Italy on Thursday. During his speech, Cook said that while the Internet has brought many positive developments, “fake news is one of the negatives,” reports 9to5mac.com. “The Internet has brought so many positive things, but the fake news is one of the negatives. All of us lovers of democracy and freedom must think that separating the false from the true is the basis of freedom. Quality journalism is the foundation of every democracy and an open and free press is essential,” Cook emphasized.
Mumbai: Allaying fears of any threat to the banking system, Reserve Bank governor Shaktikanta Das on Friday asked the public not to panic as the entire banking system, including cooperative ones, continue to remain sound and stable. Das also said in the wake of the crisis at Punjab & Maharashtra Cooperative (PMC) Bank, the RBI is reviewing the existing regulatory framework for cooperative banks and will discuss the matter with the government. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: IcraThe statement assumes importance as PMC is the 24th cooperative bank to be placed under RBI administrators in 2019 and there are many regulatory and administrative gaps in the system as the states have a big say in their matters. Also, there is political interference in their functioning. Urban cooperative banks are registered as cooperative societies either with the State Cooperative Societies Act or the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 2002 and are regulated and supervised by the Registrar of Cooperative Societies of the respective states or by the Central Registrar of Cooperative Societies. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 daysThe RBI regulates and supervises only the banking functions of the urban cooperatives and carries out on-site inspections and off-site surveillance on them and also issues directions and operational instructions to protect the interest of the depositors. “So far as the RBI is concerned, I would like to make it very clear that our banking sector remains sound and stable and there is no reason for any unnecessary panic,” Das told reporters at the customary post-policy presser. He said sometimes unnecessary rumours can create panic and urged the public to not to pay attention to them. On September 23, RBI had put a slew of restrictions on PMC after finding financial irregularities and under-reporting of loans given to the bankrupt real estate developer HDIL. Das claimed that RBI acted very swiftly and promptly, when the issue was brought to its notice. The RBI superseded the previous management and appointed administrator at the urban cooperative bank. It also revised the withdrawal limit from Rs an initial amount of Rs 1,000 per depositors to Rs 10,000 and very recently to Rs 25,000 per account. However, it can be noted that the scam and underreporting at PMC was on for the past several years and RBI’s own annual inspections did not find anything amiss all these years and the action came only after a board member blew the lid over on September 17. The governor also assured that RBI would not allow any cooperative bank to collapse. “One incident cannot be and should not be used to generalise the health of the cooperative banking sector,” he emphasised. Das said the RBI is also reviewing the regulatory framework of cooperative banks. “Based on our review, we will take a fresh look at the regulatory framework of the cooperative banks. If any changes are required, we will take up with the matter with the government,” he said. As per the confession made by the suspended managing director of PMC Bank Joy Thomas, the bank kept maintained its loans to HDIL-as much as over 73 percent of its book or Rs 6,500 crore of the Rs 8,880 crore assets, as standard even when the bankrupt real estate company was defaulting on repayments from the past two-three years. Asked why was RBI, which carries out annual inspection of all cooperative banks, was not able to identify the problems all these years, all Das said was that all aspects of PMC is being looked into. “Since the matter is under the investigation of the EOW, I would not like to go into any further now,” he said. On whether the deposit insurance cover should be enhanced from the present Rs 1 lakh, deputy governor NS Vishwanathan said there has been a demand for the same but no decision has been taken yet. “There has been a demand in the past as well but to the extent of deposit insurance cover, there are many elements that get into it as to how much percentage of deposits should get covered and how many percentage of depositors should be covered. Though there have been studies on the topic no final decision has been taken,” he said. Stating that RBI is monitoring the top 50 NBFCs and HFCs, he said, “RBI will endeavour to ensure that we do not encounter failure of another large systematically important NBFC. With that objective we are monitoring them.”
Visakhapatnam,: Ace off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin picked up a seven-wicket haul to help India keep their nose ahead on Day Four of the ongoing first Test against South Africa at the ACA-VDCA Stadium here on Saturday. At Lunch, India were 35/1 in their second innings with Rohit Sharma and Cheteshwar Pujara unbeaten at the crease on 25 and 2 respectively. The hosts are currently 106 runs ahead. Earlier in the day, the lower-order South African batsmen, especially debutant Senuran Muthusamy, frustrated the hosts and scored valuable runs to bring down the lead less than 100. Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: Rijiju Resuming the day at 385/8, Muthusamy (33*) alongwith left-arm spinner Keshav Maharaj (9) and Kagiso Rabada (15) added 46 runs more before the visitors got bowled out for 431. Ashwin, who picked up his 26th five-wicket haul on Friday, scalped the remaining two wickets to end with figures of 7/145. Ravindra Jadeja picked two wickets while Ishant Sharma contributed with one. India, with a first-inning lead of 71, didn’t have a good start to their second innings as they lost Mayank Agarwal after he could score just seven runs. Agarwal, who scored his maiden Test double hundred in the first innings, was caught at slips by skipper Faf du Plessi off the bowling Maharaj. However, Sharma and Pujara batted cautiously for the remaining part of the session and made sure the hosts didn’t lose any further wickets. Brief Scores: India 35/1 and 502/7 declared (Rohit Sharma 25*, Mayank Agarwal 7; Keshav Maharaj 1/31) lead by 106 runs against South Africa (Dean Elgar 160, Quinton de Kock 111; R Ashwin 7/145)
RIYADH: Saudi Arabia is allowing foreign men and women to rent hotel rooms together without proving they are related, after the conservative Muslim kingdom launched a new tourist visa regime to attract holidaymakers. Women, including Saudis, are also permitted to rent hotel rooms by themselves, in a break with previous regulations. The moves appear to pave the way for unaccompanied women to travel more easily and for unmarried foreign visitors to stay together in the Gulf state, where sex outside of marriage is banned. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince Salman ‘snubbed’ Pak PM Imran, recalled his private jet from US: ReportThe Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage confirmed a report on Friday by Arabic-language newspaper Okaz, adding: “All Saudi nationals are asked to show family ID or proof of relationship on checking into hotels. This is not required of foreign tourists. All women, including Saudis, can book and stay in hotels alone, providing ID on check-in.” Saudi Arabia threw open its doors last week to foreign tourists from 49 countries as it tries to grow that sector and diversify its economy away from oil exports. As part of the move, it decreed that visitors need not wear all-covering black robes but should dress modestly. Alcohol remains banned. Also Read – Iraq military admits ‘excessive force’ used in deadly protestsSaudi Arabia has been relatively closed off for decades and until recently unrelated men and women, including foreigners, could be severely punished for mixing in public. Strict social codes have been relaxed in recent years and previously banned entertainment has flourished. But an influx of tourists — the authorities are aiming for 100 million annual visits by 2030 — could push boundaries further and risks conservative backlash. The kingdom ended a heavily criticised ban on women driving last year and in August granted women new rights to travel abroad, chipping away at a guardianship system that assigns each woman a male relative to approve important decisions throughout their lives. The changes are part of de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s ambitious economic and social reform agenda. His plans have received international praise, but his image has been tarnished by the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a crackdown on dissent, and a devastating war in Yemen. Until now, foreigners travelling to Saudi Arabia have been largely restricted to resident workers and their dependents, business travellers, and Muslim pilgrims who are given special visas to visit the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.