Fifita’s bullocking charges and the promotion of the football from front row partner Aaron Woods regularly pulled the Maroons defence apart but the Queenslanders showed tremendous courage to repel wave after wave of attack, conceding a try inside the final minute of the half to trail 12-4.After Queensland had won the early arm-wrestle it was the Blues who tore a hole through the middle of the Maroons defence, an inside pass from Mitchell Pearce creating space for Andrew Fifita whose one-handed offload under the attempts at tackle from Matt Gillett and Dylan Napa gave James Maloney a one-on-one with Darius Boyd that ended with the Blues five-eighth scoring under the posts for a 6-0 lead after seven minutes.The Blues continued to hammer away at a Queensland defensive line that seemed to be wilting with each pulsating minute but as Origin has a tendency to do the momentum of the game swung dramatically five minutes from the break when a bombed Blues opportunity turned into a Queensland try at the other end.With the Maroons on the ropes and out on their feet a piece of Jarryd Hayne brilliance put the Blues in perfect position to score their second but a desperate Darius Boyd tackle stopped James Tedesco inches short of the line under the posts.Queensland’s two best players of the first half, wingers Dane Gagai and Corey Oates, then engineered their side’s first try of the game, Gagai’s bust putting the Maroons into the area of the field where a Cooper Cronk cross-field kick gave Oates the chance to leap high above Blake Ferguson and bring his side back to within two points.Given their dominance the Blues had to find a way to be further in front at the break and after returning from a HIA assessment it was Fifita again who inspired their second try with 33 seconds left in the half.An inside pass from Wade Graham to James Tedesco exposed Cameron Smith coming across slowly and when Gillett was unable to cover the Blues fullback drew his opposite number to put Pearce over underneath the sticks, Maloney’s conversion giving them an eight-point buffer.New South Wales 12 (James Maloney, Mitchell Pearce tries; Maloney 2 goals) lead Queensland 4 (Corey Oates try) at half-time at Suncorp Stadium.
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Center Marc Gasol, acquired from Memphis at the trade deadline, also has a player option for next season, the final year of his deal.“He’s earned the right to think about this and we’ll respect it,” Webster said. “Obviously, we’d love to have him back but this is his decision and it’s a big one for him.”Finding time for draft and free agency preparation amid the whirlwind of a long NBA postseason has given Webster a new appreciation for his colleagues in the Warriors’ front office, where such a schedule has become routine.“We asked Golden State how did they do this five years in a row,” he said.“Even throughout the playoffs we were meeting and we were discussing stuff,” Webster went on. “You know the season is going to come to an end at some point, so you do want to be prepared. It’s a little bit different of a mindset to really talk about the summer when the season is still going on but we did it, and so we feel comfortable.”Webster said he and coach Nick Nurse discussed plans while the team was flying back and forth from California to Toronto four times during the finals.“We had a lot of long flights,” Webster said. “We sit close on the plane so we can have those chats.”Toronto made its first draft selection since 2017 Thursday, taking Dewan Hernandez from the University of Miami with the 59th pick. The 6-foot-11 Hernandez sat out this season because of his dealings with an agent. Facing additional punishment next season, the junior from Miami turned pro instead.“To some extent, maybe we got lucky that he didn’t play last year,” Webster said. “He kind of flew under the radar. We all felt like had he had a full season, he wouldn’t have been available at 59. We think we got a really good player.”Webster said the Raptors had “intense discussions” about acquiring a pick late in the first round or earlier in the second but couldn’t strike a deal they liked. Toronto Raptors’ Kawhi Leonard holds his MVP trophy while celebrating with rapper/producer Drake during the team’s NBA basketball championship parade in Toronto, Monday, June 17, 2019. (Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press via AP)TORONTO — The title won and the draft over, the Toronto Raptors turn to the next order of business: keeping Kawhi Leonard.He is expected to opt out of the final year of his contact and become a free agent June 30. The two-time NBA Finals MVP and three-time All-Star is likely the biggest prize on the market.ADVERTISEMENT Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles MOST READ The draft is over, and now on the clock: Free agency Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess “There’s a ton of thoughts and ideas,” Webster said. “And so collecting those and putting them a little bit more in a presentation, or kind of a little bit more in order will help, even in our brains as we start to think about all the different ways to pitch him.”Injured for all but nine games in his final season with San Antonio, Leonard played 60 regular-season games for Toronto and 24 more in the postseason, increasing his minutes once April arrived.Asked about his future at Monday’s parade and rally, Leonard said he wasn’t worried about the tight timeline for his big decision.“You don’t need too many days to figure it out,” he said. “We’ll see what happens. Once that time comes, then we’ll all lay the pros and cons out.”After averaging career-bests of 26.6 points and 7.3 rebounds in the regular season, Leonard raised his averages to 30. 5 and 9.1 in the playoffs. With 22 points in the June 13 clincher over the Warriors, he passed Allen Iverson for fourth place and Hakeem Olajuwon for third on the NBA’s single-postseason scoring list.ADVERTISEMENT ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP “We weren’t willing to sacrifice any of our future assets to get it,” he said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Toronto can offer Leonard a five-year deal worth about $190 million — one year and some $50 million more than any other suitor.After a season-long soft sell that ended with the team’s first championship and a massive downtown parade, the Raptors have just more than a week to craft, plan and present their final pitch to the best player in franchise history.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“We obviously want to put a couple of special touches on it,” general manager Bobby Webster said Friday. “But, yeah, we’re comfortable. Throughout the year we’ve been talking about the things that we can offer and what made this season so special. I think we’ll just continue that.”Now, after two months of hectic, high-pressure playoff games, there’s fine-tuning to be done. DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting LATEST STORIES Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess NBA: Kawhi, George seek more for Clippers than beating Lakers PLAY LIST 01:48NBA: Kawhi, George seek more for Clippers than beating Lakers03:12Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday01:08Huge Toronto crowd celebrates Raptors’ historic win02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport View comments