Strike halts racing


first_img With the CTL chairman Chris Brown off the island, it is understood that Azar has been asked by the finance minister to intervene with a view of finding a solution in short order. A CTL source said it will cost the company $28 million to sign off on the deal. Efforts to contact CEO Stewart proved futile as calls to his mobile phone went to voicemail. Meanwhile, the workers were adamant that they would stay off the job until the issue is resolved. This was the position coming out of a meeting yesterday afternoon between Ennis and more than 50 members of staff in the grandstand at Caymanas Park. They shouted ‘No racing! No racing!’ in the presence of Azar on the conclusion of the meeting at 4 p.m. The 10-race programme scheduled for Caymanas Park yesterday had to be abandoned following strike action by unionised workers of Caymanas Track Limited (CTL). The workers claimed that the action was taken because of the failure of the promoting company to sign off on phase two of a reclassification exercise. More than 150 workers represented by the Union of Technical, Administrative and Supervisory Personnel (UTASP) took industrial action minutes after 5 p.m. on Thursday. Normality returned on Friday, but following a lengthy meeting between UTASP general secretary St Patrice Ennis and the management of CTL, the workers resumed their protest. A second meeting with the CTL management late into Friday night failed to resolve the issue. This not only resulted in yesterday’s shutdown, but the February 10 holiday meet, featuring the Ash Wednesday Trophy, also hangs in the balance unless there is a breakthrough by Monday, noted CTL’s racing secretary Denzil Miller Jr. According to Ennis, the workers representing all categories were asked to hold strain last November to ensure that the two major races on the calendar, the November 14 Superstakes and the inaugural staging of the rich Diamond Mile on December 5, were run. “But we waited more than six weeks after for a response from CTL and had to force their hand by taking industrial action on Thursday. “Following the back-to-back meetings on the nights of Thursday and Friday, it came down to CTL signing off on the agreement on benefits to the workers, but were told that neither Cedric Stewart, chief executive officer (CEO) of CTL, nor the company’s human resource manager, Tanya Wilson, both of whom were present (along with CTL’s deputy chairman Andrew Azar) had the authority to sign the document on behalf of the board,” explained Ennis. FIND A SOLUTIONlast_img read more

Quick Tip: Save Time on Approval Renders in After Effects CC


first_imgUse After Effects CC’s new “Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue” to save time and space on approvals and masters.As a full time video editor, I often send my clients links to webpages where they can watch and review approvals. I do a fair amount of work in After Effects, and with previous AE versions I had to export ProRes versions, then run the ProRes file through Media Encoder to get the preferred web sized H.264 video file. The ProRes files stack-up pretty quick with multiple revisions, and so does the amount of hard drive space used up. Even worse, you have to wait for two encodes to finish, which wastes time.With the new “Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue” in After Effects CC……you can skip ProRes (or whatever intermediate codec you’re working with).  Render directly to H.264 from After Effects for your approvals, then when you get the final go-ahead, you can render your archival master and your deliverables at the same time by adding files to the Media Encoder queue from within AE. Save time, hard drive space and keep working in After Effects while Media Encoder does it’s thing!last_img read more

Crisis-hit Gorakhpur hospital staggers under patient load


first_imgBaba Raghav Das Medical College in Gorakhpur draws a large number of frantic families with sick children from places like Deoria and Khadda, 60 and 100 km away and even beyond, because local hospitals cannot give them intensive medical attention. Alfaz, an infant brought by his mother Nesa Khatun, is one of them. The family has come from Khadda, in Kushinagar district of Uttar Pradesh.“The doctors back home sent us here. This is the only option we had,” says the mother. The BRD medical college principal, Dr. P.K. Singh, said that on a given day, about 200 to 250 encephalitis patients are under treatment at the institution, and the mortality rate is 7 to 8%. Infants and children are often brought on referral when their condition is already critical. Sohan, who has come with his extremely ill newborn nephew, is from Deoria district and was sent to the BRD medical college by local hospitals that could not treat the infant. Geeta Devi has camped outside the encephalitis ward for 17 days now, as her son, Siddharth Gautam, is treated. The 7-year-old has fared better than many others, after a spell of unconsciousness. He started walking around the ward. The woman cooks food on a stove she brought from home in Deoria.On Tuesday, a family with a one-year-old with suspected encephalitis waited for three hours for a doctor to see the baby. They had arrived at 5 a.m.The principal said 24 deaths had occurred in a span of 24 hours from midnight on Sunday in the paediatrics ward, but no details were available on the causes.The U.P. Government-run medical college and hospital has witnessed the death of over 60 children in the encephalitis ward and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) from August 7 to 11. The medical college caters not only to Gorakhpur and neighbouring districts, but also to Bihar and even Nepal. The focus has now turned to the probable causes of Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) and the number of Japanese encephalitis cases. The medical college celebrated Independence Day, with Dr. Singh hoisting the Tricolour and leading the staff in taking a pledge on Tuesday. Around the campus, relatives of patients in the NICU and encephalitis ward waited outside for any news at all. Sohan, whose nephew was admitted to the NICU on Monday night a few hours after he was born, says he had no idea how the baby is doing.“Every two or three hours I go and ask the staff if we can see the infant and if he’s okay. All they say is that he is serious and is being given oxygen. We heard about oxygen supply problems in the news. We don’t know what is wrong,” he says.Geeta Devi says she did not know about any trouble with oxygen supply at the hospital. Her son, she adds, was given oxygen support for nine days.last_img read more