Kevin Nedrick of Petersfield High School did a throwing double at the Manchester High School/Charlie Fuller Memorial on Saturday but his Class One shot put victory had patrons buzzing. With reigning ISSA-GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Championships gold medallist Kyle Mitchell of Calabar High School showing fine form, Nedrick topped the early season showdown courtesy of a big last throw of 18.85m. He and Mitchell were the class of the field.Nedrick had won the discus easily with a mark of 54.05m but watched Mitchell take early control of the shot with throws of 17.16m and 17.38m. The tall lad spun into the lead at the end of the second round with an effort landing 18.02m away and stretched away to 18.14 in Round Four. The burly Calabar champion was, however, also improving and boomed forward to 17.97m in the fifth round and to the lead in the final round with a high arcing heave of 18.33m.On the last throw of the competition, Nedrick launched his shot to a winning distance of 18.85m.”It was kind of hard at the beginning because of the temperature I didn’t get my body that warmed up but going into more and more throws, I felt better,” Nedrick said afterwards.Queried about his prospects for the season, the 2015 Commonwealth Youth shot put champion replied: “(There is) A lot more to come. This is just a piece of the cake.”Without making excuses, Mitchell revealed that he was competing with a gimpy wrist.”I’m battling with some minor issues with my wrist, so I’m just trying to get as fit as possible as it relates to throwing competitively, so today was a good start for me,” said Mitchell.Nedrick’s team manager Junior Clarke has high hopes for him.”I’m just looking for Champs because he’s leaving Champs will all the records this year,” predicted Clarke.REDEMPTIONPan-Am discus champion Fedrick Dacres placed all his four legal throws over 61m with his fourth-round spin taping out at 64.79m. Dismayed with his first-round elimination at last year’s Olympics, he has his eyes on London and the 2017 World Championships.”It’s more of a redemption so you’re going back to show that you’re not finished as yet,” Dacres determined.His University of the West Indies teammate Traves Smikle was second with a best mark of 61.74m. Smikle barely missed the qualifying standard last year and with it, a chance to compete in his second Olympics but he is looking ahead to London too.”You know 61 today is a good sign that with more work anything is possible,” said Smikle.O’Dayne Richards, the MVP Track Club star, who made it to the Olympic shot put final, began his 2017 endeavours with a victory throw of 20.11m. In other action, there were one-two finishes in the Class Two and Three long jump for girls by Edwin Allen and Holmwood Technical respectively.Double jump 2016 Champs gold medallist Annia Ashley flew to the longest jump of the day at 5.98m to outdistance her teammate Latavia Brown in Class Two, while Suzette Palmer of Holmwood survived a tight Class Three affair. Palmer bounded 5.37m to edge her teammate Samantha Jibbinson by just 2 centimetres with Nia Robinson of Rusea’s close on 5.32m.
This is your last chance to nominate your team for the inaugural Touch Football Australia Champions League event, which will be held in conjunction with the 2013 X-Blades National Youth Championships in Caloundra in September. Club-based sides from across Australia are invited to compete in the event to determine who are the best club teams across the nation.Imagine the 2012 NSW State Cup and Vawdon Cup winning Women’s Premier League champions, Easts Roosters taking on the Cobras Cup winning side, Dodgers, or the 2013 WA State Championships Men’s winners, the Wanneroo Lions battling it out against 2012 ACT Super League winners, the Woden Eagles.For more information, please click on the following attachments. Related Filesnyc_memo_-_17-6-2013_01-pdfteam_nomination_form_-_2013_cl__indicative_-xls_01-xlsxRelated LinksChampions League
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Juventus boss Sarri unconcerned with Serie A tableby Carlos Volcano6 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveJuventus boss Maurizio Sarri insists he’s unconcerned with the Serie A table at this stage this season.Juve meet Bologna this weekend.Sarri said, “We’re not interested in the table at this stage, we must be aiming to get better and better.“What happened at San Siro no longer matters. I want to see my players focused on a difficult match because the international break is always dangerous.“It seems cliched, but removing a player from one context, that being the club, and putting them in another can create problems: it’s not easy to bounce from one style of play to another.“I don’t know if the game against Inter changed anyone’s mind about us. Scepticism towards me is something I’ve always lived with, and I don’t mind it that much.”
KNOXVILLE, TN – OCTOBER 4: Dante Fowler Jr. #6 of the Florida Gators gestures toward fans in the closing seconds of the game against the Tennessee Volunteers at Neyland Stadium on October 4, 2014 in Knoxville, Tennessee. Florida defeated Tennessee 10-9. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)Dante Fowler’s time as a Florida football player is over, as the junior defensive lineman is headed to the NFL. Fowler, a potential first-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, won’t be leaving Florida without saying “thank you” to all the fans who supported him during his time in Gainesville, Fla. The 6-foot-3, 261-pound defensive end took out an ad in Friday’s Gainesville Sun expressing gratitude to all of Gator Nation. Very cool from @TheDanteFowler6, thanking the #GatorNation with an ad in today’s @GainesvilleSun @Gator_sports pic.twitter.com/G3RwAjHPtB— GatorZone Football (@GatorZoneFB) January 30, 2015Well done, Dante. Fowler, a possible outside linebacker at the next level, is projected to go 13th overall to New Orleans in NFL.com’s latest mock draft.
zoomImage Courtesy: Austal Australian shipbuilder Austal has signed an agreement to construct a high speed vehicle and passenger catamaran for Trinidad and Tobago.Under the AUD 97.7 million contract with the National Infrastructure Development Company (NIDCO), which is owned by the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago’s (GORTT), the shipbuilder would design and build the 94-metre vessel, scheduled to be delivered in mid-2020.The ship, designated AutoExpress, is to provide high speed passenger and vehicle operations on the key sea bridge between the islands of Trinidad and Tobago. The unit is a derivative of the two 109-metre AutoExpress ships designed in the last 2 years by Austal following an intensive development program and therefore incorporates many of the same design features.AutoExpress will be built in Austal’s new shipyard in Vung Tau, Vietnam, which commenced operations on November 1, 2018. As a result of the contract, Austal now expects that the new shipyard in Vietnam will be profitable in its first year of operations and to quickly expand to over 450 people from just under 100 employed currently.The new unit is designed to carry 926 passengers and 250 cars at speeds of 37.5 knots. It would operate a daily service between the islands of Trinidad and Tobago.The contract follows an initial announcement by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago reported in September 2018. Subsequently NIDCO funded a limited program of early works to protect the delivery schedule of the vessel.NIDCO intend to finance the vessel through an export loan from Australia’s Export Finance and Insurance Corporation (EFIC).
Kolkata: Accusing the BJP of creating panic over NRC, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday claimed it has led to six deaths in the state. Addressing a trade unions’ meet here, the TMC supremo iterated that she will not allow NRC exercise in the state. “NRC exercise will not be carried out in Bengal or anywhere else in country, it was conducted in Assam due to Assam accord,” she asserted. The Assam Accord, an agreement signed in 1985 between the then Rajiv Gandhi government and the All Assam Students’ Union, had ended a six-year mass movement against immigrants alleged to have settled illegally from Bangladesh. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja “Shame on the BJP for creating panic over NRC in Bengal, it has led to six deaths. Have faith in me, I will never allow the exercise in Bengal,” Banerjee said, without elaborating further. Criticising the saffron party for “undermining democratic values” in the country, the chief minister said, “Democracy exists in Bengal but it is under threat in several other parts of the country.” The BJP is not talking about job losses or the downward spiral of Indian economy, all it wants to do is serve own political interests, she maintained. Referring to the recent Jadavpur University fracas on September 19, she said the people of Bengal have seen what they (ABVP and BJP) did at the institute. “They try to use wield power everywhere, bulldoze everything,” Banerjee added.
Kolkata: A total of 34 functional teams have been formed to smoothen the process of merger of United Bank of India (UBI), Punjab National Bank (PNB) and Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC), a senior official said. The merger is scheduled to come into force from April 1 next year. “Thirty four functional teams have been created to come out with solutions for the process of integration,” a UBI official told PTI. A team comprises two members each from the three banks from different functional areas, he said. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: Icra “The functional teams will also try standardising the loan process, credit terms and benefits extended to the customers in the interim period till the merger comes into effect to avoid customer-related issues in the future,” the official said. The UBI had conducted customer meets at Kolkata, Guwahati and Patna to allay their apprehensions about the future of banking, the official said. UBI managing director and CEO A K Pradhan had earlier said that though the balance sheet merger is likely to happen by April 1 next year, it will take another three to six months after that for the HR and IT integration to be completed. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 days He had said the complete harmonisation among the three entities would take another 12 to 14 months after the merger. Senior officials of the three banks had held a meeting recently. The merger will make the new entity the second-largest bank in the country after the State Bank of India (SBI) with a total business volume of Rs 18 lakh crore. This comes after the Centre’s announcement to consolidate 10 public sector banks into four. Allahabad Bank will be merged with Indian Bank while the Union Bank of India, Andhra Bank and Corporation Bank will be amalgamated. Canara Bank and Syndicate Bank will also be merged. Last year, the Centre had approved the merger of Vijaya Bank and Dena Bank with Bank of Baroda that came into effect from April 1 this year. In 2017, the State Bank of India had absorbed five of its associate banks and the Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
Washington: India needs the S-400 ‘Triumf’ missile defence system and has apprised the Trump administration of its decision to acquire them from Russia, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar has said, exuding confidence that the US would appreciate its rational. India announced its intention to acquire Russian-made S-400 surface-to-air missile systems in 2015. The delivery contract worth USD 5.43 billion was signed during the visit by Russian President Vladimir Putin to India last year. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange frameworkSenior Trump administration officials have cautioned India that the S-400 deal could attract sanctions under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) law that restricts defence purchases from Russia, Iran and North Korea. Responding to a question on the S-400 missile system purchase, Jaishankar, who is here on an official visit, said, “India has made a decision on the S-400, and we have discussed that with the US government. “I am reasonably convinced of the powers of my persuasion,” Jaishankar said, responding to a question from a Russian journalist on the possibility of US sanctions on India under CAATSA if New Delhi goes ahead with its decision to purchase the S-400 missile defence system from Russia.
New Delhi: Union Home Minister Amit Shah said on Thursday Article 370 of the Constitution was a roadblock for the development of Jammu and Kashmir and the journey of progress in the region began with the launch of the Delhi-Katra Vande Bharat Express train.Accompanied by Railway Minister Piyush Goyal, Union ministers Jitendra Singh and Harsh Vardhan, Shah flagged off the train from the New Delhi railway station. The ministers said the twin moves of the government — abrogation of Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir and launch of the Vande Bharat Express — will bring new India to a new Jammu and Kashmir and create a new history for the region. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadFlagging off the second such indigenous train, Shah said, “I believe that not only Article 370 was a roadblock for the unity of this country, but it was also the biggest roadblock for the development of Kashmir. I am sure that after the removal of this Article, we will be successful in completely eradicating terrorism and the ideas promoting terrorism in the area.” “Within the next 10 years, Jammu and Kashmir will be one of the most-developed regions of the country and the journey of development has begun with Vande Bharat Express, which is set to boost development and promote religious tourism,” he added. Also Read – Firms staying closed 10 days a month due to recession, govt doing nothing: Priyanka GandhiMinister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) Jitendra Singh said the abrogation of Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir was a gift for the people of the region after “three decades of struggle” and the launch of the train was another gift, which would contribute in building a “new Jammu and Kashmir”. “The Vande Bharat Express will bring new India to a new Jammu and Kashmir,” he said. Remembering Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th birth anniversary (on October 2), Shah said Gandhi gave a philosophy to the world about how to derive simple solutions to the biggest of problems. He expressed pride in saying that the Vande Bharat Express was totally “swadeshi” and at par with the latest rail transport technology across the world. “The railways should document its relationship with Mahatma Gandhi as it forms a significant episode in the country’s freedom struggle,” Shah said. The Vande Bharat Express will cut the travel time between Delhi and Katra to eight hours from the previous 12 hours. The New Delhi-Katra Vande Bharat Express (train number 22439) will depart from the New Delhi railway station at 6 am to reach Katra at 2 pm. En route, it will halt at Ambala Cantonment, Ludhiana and Jammu Tawi for two minutes each. On the return journey the same day, the Katra-New Delhi Vande Bharat Express (train number 22440) will leave from the Katra railway station at 3 pm to reach New Delhi at 11 pm. The train, also known as Train 18, will ply on all days of the week barring Tuesday. “The abrogation of Article 370 has connected the people of the country to Jammu and Kashmir and I believe that this train will become the symbol of the development and progress that this region will see in the years to come because of this brave move by the government,” Goyal said.
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate on Thursday arrested a close aide of corporate lobbyist Deepak Talwar inside a Delhi court in a money-laundering case related to negotiations allegedly favouring foreign private airlines and causing loss to state-owned Air India.The agency took Yasmin Kapoor into custody after she was produced before a Delhi court. She was lodged in Tihar jail in another case being probed by the CBI. After taking her into custody, the ED sought her custodial interrogation from Special Judge Anuradha Shukla Bhardwaj, which was allowed till October 9. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadAdvocate Nitesh Rana, the special public prosecutor for the ED, told the court that Kapoor was required to be quizzed to unearth the larger conspiracy and for that her custody was needed. The court, which had last month cancelled the anticipatory bail granted to Kapoor in the money-laundering case, passed the order after Rana submitted that Kapoor was misusing the bail granted by the court. Kapoor was granted anticipatory bail by the court on March 22, while Talwar was in judicial custody in the case lodged by the ED. Also Read – Firms staying closed 10 days a month due to recession, govt doing nothing: Priyanka GandhiThere were reasons to believe that the tainted money, received from the foreign airlines, was used for the acquisition of Kapoor’s residential property in New Delhi, Rana said. The ED claimed that several companies, in which Kapoor was a shareholder along with Talwar, received the proceeds of the crime. It said the agency’s probe in this regard was underway. Kapoor had sought anticipatory bail claiming that the ED threatened her to take names and also to convince Talwar to give names of government officials or political functionaries, failing which she would be arrested. Talwar was deported from the UAE in connection with the money-laundering case. The ED had earlier said it needed to interrogate Talwar to get the names of Ministry of Civil Aviation, National Aviation Company of India Ltd and Air India officials, who had favoured the foreign airlines, including Qatar Airways, Emirates and Air Arabia.